Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Woodwork Project with 7 Year Old

Does what it says on the tin
neversay
Lemon Slice

Woodwork Project with 7 Year Old

Postby neversay » June 26th, 2018, 4:01 pm

My 7-year old son wants to do an amateur father-son woodwork project. We went skip diving at a neighbour's house and recovered the timber below. We talked about building a little hideout/hut - basically a frame with some sheet covering. I just wondered if anyone here had any better ideas?

https://ibb.co/cY6pC8

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Woodwork Project with 7 Year Old

Postby bungeejumper » June 26th, 2018, 4:22 pm

Hideout sounds good to me. :D And if it's what he wants, then doubly so. You're going to need a few more laths and suchlike from the cheapo shop, but it's a great opportunity to explore the whys and wherefores of sawing and measuring and nailing and (better) screwing things together.

Make sure you know where the Savlon and the sticking plasters are before you start your adventure. And don't forget the chocolate hobnobs for the emergency rations box. Have fun.

BJ

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » June 26th, 2018, 5:23 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Hideout sounds good to me. :D And if it's what he wants, then doubly so. You're going to need a few more laths and suchlike from the cheapo shop, but it's a great opportunity to explore the whys and wherefores of sawing and measuring and nailing and (better) screwing things together.

Make sure you know where the Savlon and the sticking plasters are before you start your adventure. And don't forget the chocolate hobnobs for the emergency rations box. Have fun.

BJ

Thanks @BJ. That's reassuring and you are right that it is his idea that is the best choice. Plasters and some tweezers for the splinters too... and that's just for my injuries!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 26th, 2018, 5:27 pm

Oh, and a flagpole. Counter-intuitive, I know, but every hideout needs one of those. :D

BJ

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » June 27th, 2018, 9:10 am

Recycling centres can be a good source of bits of timber as well for such projects. Lots of wood gets thrown away and you can often find useful bits there.

Chris

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » June 28th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Make sure that the physical requirements of the build are within those of your 7 year old.

Otherwise you will end up doing all the nailing/screwing which will probably defeat the idea of 'bonding'!

Regards,
ep

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » June 28th, 2018, 12:36 pm

eepee wrote:Make sure that the physical requirements of the build are within those of your 7 year old.

Otherwise you will end up doing all the nailing/screwing which will probably defeat the idea of 'bonding'!

Regards,
ep

Even worse, I'm hoping that the requirements of the build are beyond my abilities! :oops:

Thanks again for all the encouraging replies to this thread!

anniesdad
Lemon Pip

Postby anniesdad » July 9th, 2018, 4:45 pm

A tree house?

You may need more materials but also likely to be found in skips and of course you'll need a suitable tree as well. we did something similar to you using some scrap joists that we screwed into the tree with coach bolts. Doesn't harm tree at all. Lots of angles and trial and error as trees don't grow in straight lines lol. Old solid door nailed on joists as a platform. Broken step ladder fixed to side for access, abandoned scaffold pole concetd in for fast exits. Beauty is that we can often find other scrap things and add to it. various ropes, an old plastic wendy house makes the roof, small chunks of wood to make like a climbing wall, etc. A bit of SWA cable and some bike handlebars made a zip wire. It sounds like a right eyesore but it's in the middle of this big Laurel bush and completely hidden all year round. Great fun!

Return to “Building and DIY”