Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Replacing Decking

Does what it says on the tin
OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Replacing Decking

Postby OLTB » August 6th, 2018, 10:51 am

Morning all.

Mrs OLTB has suggested quite firmly that I should replace the decking in our back garden (we moved in 12 years ago and it was down then). It is looking a bit ropey so sounds a good idea. I have some questions as a DIY tryer but not very practical with my hands:

1. If some of the decking boards are rotten on top, is it a pretty sure bet that some of the joists underneath are also rotten and will need replacing?
2. Mrs OLTB wishes to extend the decking which means laying it over our existing patio (it's a sort of raised pattern with three inch raised squares all over). How on earth do I fasten wooden joists to concrete square patio slabs :?
3. Mrs OLTB also wants the hot tub moved to be on top of the decking, rather than on top of the patio where it is at the moment - with the added tonnage when water weight is taken into account, I assume that added support underneath will be required - any suggestions?

Should I just get a man in (or lady) to do it for me, or is it pretty straight forward?

Thanks anyone who can offer advice/assistance/words of support and comfort!

Cheers, OLTB.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Replacing Decking

Postby Itsallaguess » August 6th, 2018, 11:01 am

OLTB wrote:
3. Mrs OLTB also wants the hot tub moved to be on top of the decking, rather than on top of the patio where it is at the moment - with the added tonnage when water weight is taken into account, I assume that added support underneath will be required - any suggestions?

If you're taking the decking over the patio anyway, is there any real advantage to then putting the hot-tub on top of the decking?

I'm only thinking that it would add a whole new 'degradable' dimension to the whole decking task, in terms of weight of water, and also might limit any future deck-maintenance work, given that a number of deck-boards would then always be 'underneath' the hot-tub. That would mean they'd probably never dry out, which would also affect the joists in that area too, and perhaps give similar maintenance-related issues to the one you've got now...

Would it be possible to put the hot-tub in the same position as you want to move it to, but have it on the ground and then deck up to it at the perimeter?

Whilst it might be a more fiddly job in terms of getting the circular edge-cut done, I think the end-result would remove much of the weight-risk, and also give you more maintenance options in the future, given that you'd then have full access to all decking boards at all times, and they'd also have a better chance of maintaining better condition, given that they'd all have the chance to dry out fully with nothing being permanently positioned over some of them.

It would also lower the top edge of the hot-tub, which might make for a more appealing job all round anyway...

Just some thoughts..

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » August 6th, 2018, 11:38 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
OLTB wrote:

If you're taking the decking over the patio anyway, is there any real advantage to then putting the hot-tub on top of the decking?

I'm only thinking that it would add a whole new 'degradable' dimension to the whole decking task, in terms of weight of water, and also might limit any future deck-maintenance work, given that a number of deck-boards would then always be 'underneath' the hot-tub. That would mean they'd probably never dry out, which would also affect the joists in that area too, and perhaps give similar maintenance-related issues to the one you've got now...

Would it be possible to put the hot-tub in the same position as you want to move it to, but have it on the ground and then deck up to it at the perimeter?

Whilst it might be a more fiddly job in terms of getting the circular edge-cut done, I think the end-result would remove much of the weight-risk, and also give you more maintenance options in the future, given that you'd then have full access to all decking boards at all times, and they'd also have a better chance of maintaining better condition, given that they'd all have the chance to dry out fully with nothing being permanently positioned over some of them.

It would also lower the top edge of the hot-tub, which might make for a more appealing job all round anyway...

Just some thoughts..

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

What a great idea Itsallaguess - I hadn't thought of that and makes a lot of sense.

I shall see what Mrs OLTB thinks to that idea - I think it's a winner.

Cheers, OLTB.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 6th, 2018, 11:48 am

OLTB wrote:
I shall see what Mrs OLTB thinks to that idea - I think it's a winner.

I realise we're in real danger of some 'mission-creep' here, but you could even think about sinking the hot-tub into the ground a bit, to achieve an even better 'look' to the job, similar to this -

https://www.gardenhousedesign.co.uk/ima ... gn-600.jpg

Just an idea - but I'll shut up now given that I'm not the one who'd be doing the digging!! ;)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » August 6th, 2018, 8:35 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I realise we're in real danger of some 'mission-creep' here, but...
OLTB could have one of those buttons that when you press it a whole swathe of decking glides to the side to reveal a hot-tub underneath. (I'm can't help but think of the lake that slides aside to reveal a parabolic dish in GoldenEye.) Wonder if he'd get that past the missus? Chris

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » August 6th, 2018, 9:26 pm

OLTB wrote:1. If some of the decking boards are rotten on top, is it a pretty sure bet that some of the joists underneath are also rotten and will need replacing?

Not necessarily. There's only one way to find out - unscrew them and check the joists.
If they look good and can stand a good poke with a screwdriver they should be OK. If any have small soft areas you may get away with treating them with a wet rot preservative such as https://www.screwfix.com/p/ronseal-wet- ... 00ml/63540 (other products are available but I can testify this hardens rot).

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » August 7th, 2018, 9:26 am

csearle wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:I realise we're in real danger of some 'mission-creep' here, but...
OLTB could have one of those buttons that when you press it a whole swathe of decking glides to the side to reveal a hot-tub underneath. (I'm can't help but think of the lake that slides aside to reveal a parabolic dish in GoldenEye.) Wonder if he'd get that past the missus? Chris

I did try this but got back a raised eyebrow as a response.

Mrs OLTB approved of the slightly sunken hot tub and the benefits of no risk of collapse/rotting boards and just wanted to know who an earth came up with the idea as she knows it couldn't have been me. I said Itsallaguess and she thought I was being funny... :)

Cheers, OLTB.

twotwo22
Lemon Pip

Postby twotwo22 » August 7th, 2018, 9:56 am

I would suggest.

Put hot tub in place first on whatever support, at required height. It will weigh 1.5 to 2 tonnes. Then deck around it.

Return to “Building and DIY”