Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Vacating a property

Does what it says on the tin
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Vacating a property

Postby Infrasonic » August 23rd, 2018, 1:49 pm

Buildings insurance quite often have stipulations about things like that, if the property is left vacant for more than thirty days in the winter then you must (insert draconian clauses...) generally some sort of minimum 24/7 heat level or a complete draining of the water system to stop burst pipes.

My sister has recently had to spend a few thousand on her holiday cottage after a washer on the upstairs toilet cistern failed, flooding the property.
Normally she switched off the bottled gas supply everytime and then drained the water in the winter only, now it's water off and drained whenever unoccupied.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » August 23rd, 2018, 2:02 pm

Snorvey wrote:If a hand over of a sold property is upcoming, how should the seller leave the property for the purchaser (assuming it could remain empty for a while, although I don't know that for sure). I'm thinking as Autumn approaches and it starts getting colder.

Assuming when you state sold that the monies for the sale have already been trousered, then I should imagine the seller's obligation is to leave the property in a secure, safe ( with gas, electricity and water turned OFF) and as a no threat situation to third parties regardless of external weather conditions. However, I suspect a pre joint arrangement could be entered into between the seller and the purchaser.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » August 23rd, 2018, 6:22 pm

panamagold wrote:
Snorvey wrote:If a hand over of a sold property is upcoming, how should the seller leave the property for the purchaser (assuming it could remain empty for a while, although I don't know that for sure). I'm thinking as Autumn approaches and it starts getting colder.

Assuming when you state sold that the monies for the sale have already been trousered, then I should imagine the seller's obligation is to leave the property in a secure, safe ( with gas, electricity and water turned OFF) and as a no threat situation to third parties regardless of external weather conditions. However, I suspect a pre joint arrangement could be entered into between the seller and the purchaser.

I'd agree entirely with this. Any measures required to guard against weather related problems, or any other potential problems for that matter, would be the responsibility of the new owner.

If they plan to leave it empty, then they would have to decide what risk level they were comfortable with, and what measures they need to take.

beseeinyou
Lemon Pip

Postby beseeinyou » August 24th, 2018, 11:30 am

Up until the date of entry it is up to the existing owner to leave the property in the same condition as when the sale was agreed is it not?, after the date of entry it is the new owner's responsibility to do with it as they see fit.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » August 24th, 2018, 1:23 pm

beseeinyou wrote:Up until the date of entry it is up to the existing owner to leave the property in the same condition as when the sale was agreed is it not?, after the date of entry it is the new owner's responsibility to do with it as they see fit.

On a related note, in England, at least, (am I right in thinking the OP lives a bit north of England?), I believe it is prudent for the new owner to insure the property from exchange of contracts, as they are committed from that point to the purchase. I'm not sure whether the contract would be voided if the property suffered serious damage prior to completion, but given the advice to insure it, I guess not...

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 24th, 2018, 2:37 pm

staffordian wrote:On a related note, in England, at least, (am I right in thinking the OP lives a bit north of England?), I believe it is prudent for the new owner to insure the property from exchange of contracts, as they are committed from that point to the purchase. I'm not sure whether the contract would be voided if the property suffered serious damage prior to completion, but given the advice to insure it, I guess not...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/ ... completion - "A Brighton family who were buying a home that was flooded by a major leak just before they completed the purchase are warning others to make sure they buy insurance on exchange, after they were in effect forced to buy a home that had been wrecked. James and Daisy Callahan, who have a two-year-old child, are facing a £50,000 bill for repairs and to cover the rent of a replacement home for six months."

ClaudiusTheIdiot
Lemon Pip

Postby ClaudiusTheIdiot » August 26th, 2018, 10:03 pm

According to the link below, from an agent in England, "The property is at the risk of the buyer from the date of the contract"
and "The seller is under no obligation to the buyer to insure the property unless:
(a) the contract provides ...or (b) the property or any part of it is let on terms under which the seller ... is obliged to insure..."
https://www.bickersinsurance.co.uk/our- ... ng-a-house

If you confirm that the property is at the buyer's risk maybe you could ask the buyer (perhaps via the estate agent) how they would like you to leave things; though don't do anything that is obviously daft, and perhaps get evidence of their wishes for the unlikely case that something goes awry.

Return to “Building and DIY”