Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

T Port Valve for Drainage

Does what it says on the tin
TopStar74
Lemon Pip

T Port Valve for Drainage

Postby TopStar74 » August 30th, 2018, 11:01 pm

Our utility sink and the washing machine drains out into the back garden. Outside, the pipe broke at the bottom, so I used a large used milk bottle, removed the lid, cut at the bottom, turned it upside down and fixed it between the pipe and the drain and this did the job for 3 years now. However, this dry summer, whenever the washing machine was draining water, I removed the milk bottle, kept a bucket below and collected the grey water and used it for flowers and hedges and large shrubs. Once, I even collected ALL the water coming out of the washing machine and had a large drum beside me. So I kept filling the drum with the water coming out of the drains from the washing machine. I was surprised that the entire drum was nearly full with water at the end of the wash cycle. It made me realise how much water just flushes away and is so useful. I researched a few grey water collection systems but they all need a lot of money and time and effort.

I wanted something manual, ultra low cost plus which does the work, and I don't mean me sitting there each time collecting in buckets! So I found there is something called a T port valve and this one looks handy and ideal
http://www.reuk.co.uk/wordpress/water/g ... ter-valve/
just turn the lever from one direction to another to divert water directly to the drum which sits right below. However, it is still expensive and has to be shipped from USA.

I also saw this but again too expensive.
https://www.pipestock.com/pvc/pvc-valve ... ort-metric

Does anyone know of any similar product but costs cheaper.

Thanks
TS74

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: T Port Valve for Drainage

Postby kempiejon » August 31st, 2018, 8:59 am

Showers and heating have 3 way valves, I don't know if they can be used for all positions though perhaps a place to start an investigation?
If you just need to chose where your waste goes either drains or storage then could the same thing be fashioned using a T piece of plumbing with a valve on each side downstream? You would have to remember not to run with both closed though.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » August 31st, 2018, 9:15 am

Check out pond or swimming pool suppliers. I think the 40mm ones fit solvent weld waste ok but check elsewhere first if you can. They are not suitable for push-fit pipe.

Julian F. G. W.

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » August 31st, 2018, 12:57 pm

Do you actually need to switch the valve manually? A rain water diverter might be worth considering - the flow goes into the drum until the drum is full, then is automatically diverted to the mains.

Though it is possible to get switchable diverters: https://cityirrigation.co.uk/acatalog/S ... -2907.html

TopStar74
Lemon Pip

Postby TopStar74 » September 1st, 2018, 1:48 pm

I did check shower and heating valves. They are for smaller pipes. The pipe coming from the washing machine and sink is large and I checked when the washing machine discharge it literally comes out in much larger volume than I think those small pipes/valves for heating are sized at.

I do have 5 rainwater butts. Rainwater diverters are actually not going to work in this situation because the position where the are, and will come from etc. and the position of the drum etc. is not on the same level.

Will look at pond and swimming pool suppliers. Thanks.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » September 1st, 2018, 2:17 pm

This is the wrong sort of valve but the note suggests that you will need reducers,

This 1½ inch Slide Valve will accept imperial 1½ inch PVC pressure pipe or 40mm metric solvent weld waste pipe if the optional reducing sleeves is used.

https://www.watergardeningdirect.com/ac ... Valve.html

Julian F. G. W.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » September 1st, 2018, 4:36 pm

Return to “Building and DIY”