Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Inspection (wander) Lamps - are LED bulbs suitable ?

Does what it says on the tin
mike
Lemon Slice

Inspection (wander) Lamps - are LED bulbs suitable ?

Postby mike » September 3rd, 2018, 8:49 pm

Following (very!) hard on the heels of Quelquods LED request, could I ask the following.

With mains powered inspection lamps, it is normally recommend you use rough service bulbs. Well the last one I had blew earlier today, and I only had an LED bulb readily available. Of course, the first thing you notice is the lack of heat, so much better.

Does anyone know if normal LED bulbs (this one has four ochre coloured filaments about 3cm long, bought from Sainsbury's) will put up with the inevitable knocks when using an inspection lamp.

Thanks
Mike

PS I know there are battery LED inspection lamps available, but am curious.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Re: Inspection (wander) Lamps - are LED bulbs suitable ?

Postby quelquod » September 3rd, 2018, 10:07 pm

No experience personally, but given that these aren't really filaments in the old-fashioned sense in that they don't run hot, and that they haven't much mass, I'd expect them to be relatively robust.

I've used low-wattage fluorescents for years and they seem far tougher than the old rough-usage ones.

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Re: Inspection (wander) Lamps - are LED bulbs suitable ?

Postby bionichamster » September 6th, 2018, 7:55 am

mike wrote:Does anyone know if normal LED bulbs (this one has four ochre coloured filaments about 3cm long, bought from Sainsbury's) will put up with the inevitable knocks when using an inspection lamp.

Thanks
Mike

PS I know there are battery LED inspection lamps available, but am curious.

I guess we'll findout......

I suspect the bulb you describe might be more fragile than some but LED lamps in general seem pretty durable I've always used normal incandecsant bulbs in inspection lamps without too much problem but changed to cf bulb years ago, however for most jobs now I use a rechargable LED one and the one on th cable just dangles in a dark corner of the garage should I need to go rummaging for something

BH

Return to “Building and DIY”