Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

outside condensate pipe insulation

Does what it says on the tin
Victor55

outside condensate pipe insulation

Postby Victor55 » September 22nd, 2018, 1:55 pm

I would like to insulate a boiler condensate pipe that runs from my upstairs boiler to outside plastic pipe (35mm?) to a downpipe , total length approx 2 metres.
Since I will require a ladder I want to do this properly and something that will last.

Any advice on what types and thickness is best, amusing it will actually help in freezing conditions.
last winter I had to divert the internal condensate pipe to a bucket for a few days.

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: outside condensate pipe insulation

Postby 88V8 » September 23rd, 2018, 9:34 am

A few years ago I used some high density thickwall foam for external pipes.
Didn't keep the bill or the url, but look here.... Armaflex... one also needs the tape to seal it, not cheap but nor are burst pipes and floods.
https://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/thre ... on.102164/

V8

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 23rd, 2018, 2:53 pm

Victor55 wrote:
I would like to insulate a boiler condensate pipe that runs from my upstairs boiler to outside plastic pipe (35mm?) to a downpipe , total length approx 2 metres.

Since I will require a ladder I want to do this properly and something that will last.

You'd need to double-check the outside diameter of the pipe first, given the cost of the Armaflex Tuffcoat pipe insulation, but if it is 35mm then there's a supplier here for about £24 per metre, delivered -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Armaflex-Tuffc ... YHM8G?th=1

I'd suggest that this would be enough to help stop the freezing issue happening again, but for an additional cost you could install trace-heating to the pipe, to ensure that even when the boiler is off there will be heat applied to the outside pipe to help stop it freezing. The link below is for a 3m trace-heating element, but other lengths are available -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elektra-Frost- ... B00HQEX4DS

Note that if you do go for the simpler 'insulation-only' option, then rotating the insulation so that the slit is at the bottom of the run will perhaps avoid the need to expensive tapes. I'd give it a go without first, and just see what the natural seal looks like.

Also, one thing to remember with these condensate pipes is where the end of the route drops into the outflow, which is often the nearest rainwater hopper head. With the warmth of the condensate liquid flowing out the end of the pipe, it often gets clogged up with a heavy growth of moss, which can very often grow to be large enough to actually obstruct the flow of the condensate, which might add to the risk of that open end freezing still, where it goes into the hopper.

Even if you insulate these pipes well, do make sure that you inspect the open end before each winter to make sure it's free of such moss growth...

I think it should be an installation-requirement to insulate these pipes - many plumbers must walk away from a new boiler-installation knowing fine well that a harsh winter will cause the owners of the new boilers a freezing-issue like this. It should be legislated that some form of insulation is always installed as part of the boiler-installation, if a condensate pipe is used as part of that installation...

I should add that I use some of the cheap internal pipe insulation on mine - the grey stuff that we use on out central-heating pipes. It doesn't weather at all well, and needs replacing every couple of years, but it's cheap-as-chips and easy to install, so I just replace it if necessary when I do my moss-checks....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Victor55

Postby Victor55 » September 24th, 2018, 8:31 am

Many thanks for your advice. :)

fisher
Lemon Slice

Postby fisher » September 24th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Another thing to consider is the diameter of the pipe. It may make sense to pay someone to install a larger diameter pipe. It will take much longer to freeze solid and may buy enough time for it to never freeze under "normal" conditions.

I presume there is no simple way to get the pipe rerouted to run inside the house to the main downpipe? I had one that used to freeze in a previous property and when I got a plumber round to install a larger diameter pipe he rerouted the run instead to run inside the house to fix the problem.

Return to “Building and DIY”