Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Cleaning up lead flashing around windows

Does what it says on the tin
HowardRoark

Cleaning up lead flashing around windows

Postby HowardRoark » October 5th, 2018, 10:11 am

Anyone done this?

From the little I can find: use extra-fine wire wool to do initial clean, then apply patination oil for lead with a cloth.

Anyone know how far I'm taking the scrubbing with the wire wool? Any other tips?

I do know that painting the lead flashing is a no-no . . . which I can see from the peeling of the neighbour's lead after barely a couple of years! So I was just going to leave it after applying the oil.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Cleaning up lead flashing around windows

Postby staffordian » October 5th, 2018, 3:23 pm

I'm no expert, but did oil up a small area of lead a couple of years ago which had been installed over a flat bay window.

As it was new, all I did was brush it to remove any loose dust then put the patination oil on. I can't recall whether I used a brush or a cloth now, but it was a five minute job and I've not done anything to it since.

As far as I was able to tell, it's only done for aethetic reasons anyway, to prevent unsightly white stains of lead carbonate which might run down from the new lead. Once the oil has been applied, or if left bare, once nature had added it's own patina, there is no problem. Those church roof builders obviously knew a thing or two :D

In a nutshell, what I'm saying is that on old lead, I doubt anything is needed. On new, the briefest of prep and a quick coat of oil seems more than adequate.

Return to “Building and DIY”