Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

New boiler quote reasonable?

Does what it says on the tin
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: New boiler quote reasonable?

Postby swill453 » April 1st, 2019, 6:43 pm

bruncher wrote:The new boiler does not have a gas burner adjustment, so the radiators are red hot when the system is working.

Doesn't the boiler have a setting for the central heating water temperature? Mine does and I thought it would be pretty standard.

Scott.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 1st, 2019, 6:57 pm

swill453 wrote:
bruncher wrote:The new boiler does not have a gas burner adjustment, so the radiators are red hot when the system is working.

Doesn't the boiler have a setting for the central heating water temperature? Mine does and I thought it would be pretty standard.

Scott.

Thermostatic valves on the radiators might be a good idea. I never touch water temperature or timer settings. The system does all that is needed.

TJH

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » April 1st, 2019, 7:00 pm

swill453 wrote:

Scott.

Thanks I will check (although the manual is not friendly). The heating engineer told me I should adjust the radiator valves, but in my ignorance i prefer the full circulation of hot water rather than the restricted circulation of scalding water.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 1st, 2019, 7:06 pm

bruncher wrote:Thanks I will check (although the manual is not friendly). The heating engineer told me I should adjust the radiator valves, but in my ignorance i prefer the full circulation of hot water rather than the restricted circulation of scalding water.

Yes, in my system I can adjust both.

Scott.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 1st, 2019, 11:19 pm

Gaggsy wrote:I've just had a quote for a replacement for my approx. 33 year old Potterton Kingfisher 11.
The old boiler is downstairs at the back of the house and the old cylinder is in the airing cupboard upstairs. The proposal is to re-site the boiler in the upstairs airing cupboard. We're in a hard water area and the pipework has a lot of scale in it.
It seems a lot to me but does anyone have any views?

To attend site, drain down heating and hot water system. Remove old floor standing boiler and strip pipe
work back as far as possible. Re site boiler to top of airing cupboard. Supply and fit 1no Ideal Logic + system
boiler, magnetic filter, new motorised valve and new controls and cylinder. Alter all pipe work to suit new
boiler position. Power flush central heating system. Run new gas pipe from meter to boiler. Wire up new
central heating system. Test and leave in good working order. Total Costs £4,236 (including VAT)

I'm not a plumber. I don't work for Ideal. I work for a small company. "We" build new homes ranging in size from 3,300 to 7,300FT2. (Prices on application :lol: )

If you specify an Ideal Vogue boiler you will get a 10 year warranty subject to meeting certain criterion.
https://idealboilers.com/products/vogue-max-combi

This warranty may be extended to 12 years if you meet specified terms and conditions
https://idealboilers.com/uploads/docume ... rranty.pdf

We have used Worcester Bosch and have had no issues with them. I cannot comment on the difference between the two boilers. "Our plumber" differentiates them on price and feels they both offer very similar performance. However, I am sure that is a subjective opinion and it may be his opinion revolves around his margins.

I am confident that others have given you some great advice. I would suggest that you consider that you may be able to reduce your costs and maintain the same outcome. It may be possible to keep your new boiler in the same location as the old? I hope someone with more knowledge than me can back that up or rubbish it. I don't think you will need a water softener on your heating system if it is unvented - and again I hope someone will confirm or rubbish that. "We" are looking at the Albion cylinder by Kingspan which is unvented and albeit it's an "ugly duckling" I'm assured it's suitable, especially when inside a cupboard. I think what I'm saying is shop around and consider your options.

I've done a little work back. Please bear in mind these figures are to help - but I hope they illustrate my strategy when "judging" the offering based on price. I hasten to add price is but one function to view when purchasing and my apologies for teaching you how to suck those proverbial eggs.

1. Boiler and flu (for 3,300FT2) 1,100.00 (mounted on external wall)
2. Unvented cylinder 650.00 (let me check the quote I have and I will confirm)
3. Labour 5 days @ £200 1,000.00 (Indicative and highly subjective)
4. Bits 300.00
4. VAT @ 20% 610.00
5. Total 3,660.00

Of course the above figures are merely a suggestion. But I genuinely hope you agree that it's a sincere effort to try and develop a strategy to understand the quotation you have been given.

Finally and I really have no idea at all - none. "We" currently pay £16,400 (exclusive of vat and the bathroom suites) to fit out 3,300FT2 on a supply and fit basis. For that we get

1. Boiler
2. Underfloor heating downstairs
3. Radiators and TRV's upstairs
4. Labour to fit 4 bathroom suites and kitchen sinks
5. Cylinder
6. First fix plumbing
7. Supply only room stats (I think we have six zones downstairs - UFH)

I hope you find a solution that fits your pocket and demands and if I have talked total rubbish (with a capital "B") please dismiss me politely :roll:

All the very best
AiY :D

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 2nd, 2019, 11:44 am

LOL, don't get a Rayburn. We've just been quoted £11,000 to replace our 23 year old cast iron monster. And that's without radiators or pipework.

It's running fine, as it happens. I think we'll aim to squeeze another five years out of it :lol:

BJ

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » April 9th, 2019, 8:43 pm

swill453 wrote:
bruncher wrote:Thanks I will check (although the manual is not friendly). The heating engineer told me I should adjust the radiator valves, but in my ignorance i prefer the full circulation of hot water rather than the restricted circulation of scalding water.

Scott.

The installation engineer recommended not reducing the temperature of the water in the radiators. He said there is a relation between the water temp in the hot tank and the temp of water circulating through the radiators, and that reducing the temp of the latter could cause problems - conflict of instructions to the boiler? I didn't understand.

Unfortunately I think we have been stung financially, and I am waiting to hear from my insurer's legal service.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 13th, 2019, 10:49 am

bungeejumper wrote:LOL, don't get a Rayburn. We've just been quoted £11,000 to replace our 23 year old cast iron monster

We had one when we moved in in 1981. It needed some special transporting gadget, the floor temporarily boarding to forestall score marks, and several strong men to remove - it weighed a ton (perhaps literally).
Although ... when I moved in to a flat in Scotland, the removal firm send one man to move an upright piano up a long steep flight of stairs. And - using purpose-made leather straps - he did it although there was an awkward moment half way up. He then - deservedly - consumed the several cans of cold lager i had prepared for the 'team'.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 13th, 2019, 11:24 am

stewamax wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:LOL, don't get a Rayburn. We've just been quoted £11,000 to replace our 23 year old cast iron monster

We had one when we moved in in 1981. It needed some special transporting gadget, the floor temporarily boarding to forestall score marks, and several strong men to remove - it weighed a ton (perhaps literally).

LOL, ours came in multiple pieces, with the doors and hotplates and stuff separately, but even the carcase must have been pushing half a tonne. Unfortunately the delivery driver's special delivery barrow sank axle-deep into the (rock hard) gravel on our drive, so we had a Right Said Fred half an hour while they all sat down and figured out how to get it out of the rut. (Ropes, boards, six men, a lot of swearing, had our twinges taking off the hinges.) To their enormous credit, they got it into the kitchen without breaking anything - but then they fitted it crooked within the kitchen alcove, and the wife made them come back and refit it. They were not very happy. :)

BJ

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 17th, 2019, 9:07 pm

bruncher wrote:
swill453 wrote:

Scott.

The installation engineer recommended not reducing the temperature of the water in the radiators. He said there is a relation between the water temp in the hot tank and the temp of water circulating through the radiators, and that reducing the temp of the latter could cause problems - conflict of instructions to the boiler? I didn't understand.

Scott,

I'm inclined to think this installer of yours doesn't really understand his subject properly. Yes there is a relationship between the boiler temperature setting and the temperature set on the hot water tank for your hot tap water, but 'conflict of instructions' is hardly an appropriate term to use. The boiler produces hot water (set to whatever temperature you choose), which is sent to the radiators to heat the house, and/or sent through a coil of pipe suspended inside the hot water cylinder which then heats the domestic tap water stored in the cylinder. The heat simply passes through the wall of the coil of pipe to heat the stored tap water.

SO as you can perhaps envisage, the boiler needs to be sending water through the coil at a higher temperature than you have selected on the tap water temperature control fixed to the side of the hot water cylinder. So let's assume you want your tap water temp to be say 55C - pretty hot but not scalding, and hot enough to kill off any legionella bugs. To get the tap water up to 55C, the boiler needs to be producing boiler water at a couple of degrees hotter than 55C, or any temperature higher. Once the hot water cylinder thermostat reaches 55C it positively shuts down the boiler, so it is not endlessly cycling on and off.

Now if you turn the boiler temp down lower than the 55C, the boiler will never be able to get the hot water cylinder up to 55C - hopefully this makes sense - and the boiler will cycle on and off indefinitely while the cylinder calls for heat, waiting to be heated up to 55C.

So there is no harm in turning down your boiler temperature - in fact it improved fuel economy as it will run in condensing mode for a higher proportion of the time, arguably - just don't turn it down lower than the setting on the hot tank.

Hope that helps...

P.S. All Vaillants as far as I know can be temperature-adjusted in the software. A bit of button-pressing with manual in hand is required. Not very user friendly but that's progress for you.

Return to “Building and DIY”