Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Protecting bedroom decor while ensuite ripped out and replaced

Does what it says on the tin
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Protecting bedroom decor while ensuite ripped out and replaced

Postby Clariman » December 6th, 2018, 11:57 am

We have recently had our bedroom completely redone - new carpet, painted, one wall of wallpaper and the ensuite is about to be ripped out and replaced. What is the best way to protect the room? The bathroom is near the entrance to the bedroom but there will be a bit they will need to come in and out of all the time. My main concerns are the carpet and wallpaper - because dust can be vacuumed and paint can be repainted.

My thoughts so far ...

• Block off most of the bedroom with something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zipper-pre-Ass ... 07DCZQW51/ . However, it says it has masking tape included. Will that not potentially damage the paintwork or wallpaper if left attached for a week? Someone mentioned painter's tape as a better thing to use ... whatever that is.
  • Put dust sheets over main items of furniture just in case anything gets passed the above
  • Put carpet protector down on the bit they'll need to walk over (already have some cling-film like carpet protector which has worked well)
  • Put cardboard over the carpet protector to stop any gritty boots breaking through the carpet protector
  • But what about the wallpaper outside the ensuite - how can I protect that? If it does get ruined, would it be easy for a professional decorator to remove a couple of panels of wallpaper and re-paper that bit?

Many thanks
Clariman

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: Protecting bedroom decor while ensuite ripped out and replaced

Postby richlist » December 6th, 2018, 1:01 pm

The risk of damage to the bedroom is the reason people usually do the ensuite first before decorating the bedroom.

I'd suggest that one way to reduce the potential damage, if it's possible, is to completely seal the route the builders will take from the bedroom to the ensuite. Cheap, thin sheets of ply or hardboard could be cut to temporarily cover the floor, exposed walls and to create a tunnel through which builders can pass to access the ensuite. If need be get a chippy to knock something up for you.

The alternative is to do the ensuite yourself where I'm sure you will take far more care than the most carefully builders.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 6th, 2018, 1:10 pm

The answer is to engage with the plumbers who will be doing the revamp of the ensuite (which as has been said might have been better done first, but too late for that now) When I had an ensuite redone last year, my plumber covered the entire room in plastic sheeting (sort of industrial cling film) including the carpeted floor. It goes without saying that you need to move out of the room whilst the work is going on. Even doing that, dust will get everywhere. Remove anything moveable in the bedroom and especially the curtains which are in my experience particularly difficult to protect.

Never mind it should only be for a week or so.

Dod

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 6th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Thanks. We would have preferred to do the bathroom first, but availability of both didn't make it possible. I will ask the plumbing company to come over to discuss how they will protect the bedroom.

One specific question - should some wallpaper get damaged, is it easy for a professional decorator to strip part of the wall and apply new paper to sit alongside what has been undamaged? I have a couple of spare rolls so knowing that it could be fixed would be reassuring.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 6th, 2018, 3:05 pm

I am no expert on these matters but provided the wallpaper is all from the same batch (which it is most likely to be from what you say) it should be perfectly possible for a professional to replace it with no problem, but it should not come to that if your plumber is careful! Damage like that is in my experience (and I have had a lot of bathrooms/ en suites done over the years!) relatively unlikely. In fact if it does happen you would need to ask yourself what sort of job the installer is doing with the ensuite itself. Dust I think is the main problem. Good luck.

Dod

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » December 6th, 2018, 6:43 pm

Accidental damage is always a risk.......lengths of pipe, baths, showers, sinks etc being moved in and out of the rooms.......not to mention tools and equipment.

Cover any at risk areas of wall with durable, robust materials.......plastic sheet won't stop damage when a length of pipe or a bath is bashed against a wall.

Dust is inevitable.....and probably the least of your concerns.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 9th, 2018, 8:17 am

We had a new en suite created which entailed creating a new doorway between it and the bedroom. That created dust but not much else of what they did created much.Your precautions seem more than adequate.

John

Return to “Building and DIY”