Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Partitioning off a kitchen

Does what it says on the tin
robbelg
Lemon Slice

Partitioning off a kitchen

Postby robbelg » December 8th, 2018, 12:26 pm

I'm thinking about moving and buying a new flat.

However the vast majority I've seen (online only) are open plan kitchens, a layout I detest.

I've seen some that are very nice apart from this problem and it seems that in some of them it would be possible to partition off the kitchen while leaving a usable sized living room.

Does anyone think this is a practical option.

My thoughts so far:

Wouldn't need planning permission?

Would need permission from Freeholder/Management company? How difficult,likely/unlikely?
I would absolutely want this nailed down before exchanging contracts.

Just a simple partition wall & door, any building regulation complications?

I would want an extractor to outside not just a filter but is this an absolute necessity.

Likely wouldn't have a window. Is this a problem?

What haven't I thought of?

Is this a stupid idea and I should just keep looking until the right place turns up (I'm not under any time pressure)

All comments and suggestions welcome.

Rob

( I originally posted this on property investing but had zero response on reflection this is a much better place )

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: Partitioning off a kitchen

Postby richlist » December 8th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Provided the flat layout lent itself to the alteration then a simple wooden framed, plaster board partition with door would be easy enough.
Unlikely to need Planning approval.
Any electrical work is likely to need certification.
You may not need the freeholders permission....check the lease for details.
As long as you comply with safety requirements.....eg CO & smoke alarms.....I can't see any issues.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 8th, 2018, 1:10 pm

richlist wrote:Any electrical work is likely to need certification.
Yes all alterations to the fixed wiring require certification* in the UK. In addition to this such alterations in domestic homes within certain zones in wet rooms, saunas, and in gardens require notification to the local authority (Part P of the Building Regs).

Rgds,
Chris

* A Minor Works Certificate at the very least and an Electrical Installation Certificate for new circuits/consumer units.

RececaDron
2 Lemon pips

Postby RececaDron » December 8th, 2018, 1:56 pm

If space and ceiling height permitted - which they may well not - I would consider constructing an "island partition".

This would have a height sufficient to accommodate tall kitchen units or built-in appliances such as fridge-freezer, or eye-level ovens, but would fall short of reaching the ceiling, so as to allow some light into the kitchen area. It's width would be set so as to form an access route from kitchen to living area, and if space permitted it would be left a little bit short of the opposing kitchen wall so as to form an island as opposed to a wall, again letting a little additional light into the kitchen area and promoting a spacious feeling.

On the kitchen side the island partition would have units or appliances built into it. On the living room side it would be plastered. Where the access route had been formed between kitchen and living area, that end of the island partition could be plastered in a curved manner if you had sufficient space, ie. the "rectangular" shape of the island partition would have one curved end rather than be a true rectangle.

If done properly, this will look a lot classier than creating a full partition, while providing some of the benefits of both full open plan and fully partitioned off. If you were to sell the flat on, this could be a key benefit as opposed to a partitioned-off kitchen, which is a layout likely to remain out of fashion for most other people's tastes for the foreseeable...

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » December 8th, 2018, 2:09 pm

I'd focus on closing off access to windows, both for light and ventilation. I expect there are strong regulations about venting kitchens.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » December 8th, 2018, 2:12 pm

Are you sure about your last sentence ?

I'm with the OP in that I also dislike open plan and many people I know dislike open plan.....haven't got, wouldn't buy it, not interested in it ! I accept there are those who are enthusiastic but it's easy to assume that because new builds provide that design it's actually what the 'majority' want.......based on my experience I'm not so sure it is.

malakoffee
Lemon Pip

Postby malakoffee » December 8th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Be aware of reducing the natural light level to an extent that artificial light would be essential.

Rooms without adequate natural light are horrid.

Also check that the natural light is in the "right place(s)".

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » December 9th, 2018, 7:06 pm

If natural light is an issue it would be no difficulty to incorporate a transparent/translucent panel in any dividing partition. Possibly the door could be glass panelled depending on position relative to windows etc..

Return to “Building and DIY”