Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

New Kitchen

Does what it says on the tin
dspp
Lemon Half

Re: New Kitchen

Postby dspp » December 12th, 2018, 10:18 am

Yes you do need a "Part P" certificate, and any electrician doing this sort of work in the UK ought to be able to issue one. If they can't issue one, don't pay them. Instead get an inspector (or another, registered, electrician) to issue you one and subtract that and any remedial costs from the bill. Oh, and report the original electrician to their relevant body (Elecsa, NICEIC, etc) and the local building regs dept.

regards, dspp

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 13th, 2018, 7:02 am

Snorvey wrote:Should I have received certification for all this as standard (all I have is the electricians invoice)?
Hi, all additions or alterations to the fixed wiring require at least a Minor Works Certificate with a few specific test results on it. Any new circuits or consumer unit replacements require an Electrical Installation Certificate, which has a larger number of specific test results on it.

If the existing wiring has merely been altered as opposed to any new circuits added then, in accordance with Part P of the building regulations, there is no need for the installer to notify the local authority. This means that the local authority will not send you one of their notification certificates.

Regards,
Chris

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Selling house. Part P certificate?

Postby Slarti » December 13th, 2018, 8:45 am

Having just had had the fuse board replaced, am I going to be asked for a Part P Certificate when I sell the house?

Slarti

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: Selling house. Part P certificate?

Postby richlist » December 13th, 2018, 8:55 am

If that's the consumer unit then yes.

Normally you will be asked if you have had any electrical work carried out since....I think 2006. If you have you'll be asked to provide certification to the buyers solicitor.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 13th, 2018, 9:11 am

So when quoting for such work, should the certificate be automatically included in the price, or should I have asked about one in advance?

Slarti

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » December 13th, 2018, 9:27 am

Slarti wrote:So when quoting for such work, should the certificate be automatically included in the price, or should I have asked about one in advance?

Slarti

The electrician who replaced the fuse board (consumer unit) should have issued you a Part P.

See viewtopic.php?f=40&t=15205.

You ought to be able to demonstrate to the prospective purchasers a file with the relevant certificates for the relevant bits of work on the house, including in this instance the Part P for the consumer unit.

regards, dspp

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 13th, 2018, 9:43 am

csearle wrote:
Snorvey wrote:Should I have received certification for all this as standard (all I have is the electricians invoice)?
Hi, all additions or alterations to the fixed wiring require at least a Minor Works Certificate with a few specific test results on it. Any new circuits or consumer unit replacements require an Electrical Installation Certificate, which has a larger number of specific test results on it.

If the existing wiring has merely been altered as opposed to any new circuits added then, in accordance with Part P of the building regulations, there is no need for the installer to notify the local authority. This means that the local authority will not send you one of their notification certificates.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

So issuing the certificate for a consumer unit replacement should be automatic, not an additional cost? And not need to be requested by me?

Slarti

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » December 13th, 2018, 10:13 am

Slarti wrote:
csearle wrote:

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

So issuing the certificate for a consumer unit replacement should be automatic, not an additional cost? And not need to be requested by me?

Slarti

Yes. It should be automatic. They should not need to be asked. You should not need to pay extra to get the Part P. But you do need to pay for any additional work required to rectify pre-existing faults that need to be cleared to get the Part P .......

........... And an issue with replacing consumer units is that fairly often it exposes wiring faults that are tolerable (!!) if left undisturbed, but where the test results will fail the formal tests for a new piece of work. Because a consumer unit is linked to every circuit in the house this can rapidly grow arms & legs. Each piece of rectification work would be at the cost of the home owner. Hence the incentive for the home owner to not ask for the Part P, and for some types of electricians to fail to discuss up front this when doing CU jobs.

- dspp

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 13th, 2018, 10:27 am

dspp wrote:Yes. It should be automatic. They should not need to be asked. You should not need to pay extra to get the Part P. But you do need to pay for any additional work required to rectify pre-existing faults that need to be cleared to get the Part P .......

........... And an issue with replacing consumer units is that fairly often it exposes wiring faults that are tolerable (!!) if left undisturbed, but where the test results will fail the formal tests for a new piece of work. Because a consumer unit is linked to every circuit in the house this can rapidly grow arms & legs. Each piece of rectification work would be at the cost of the home owner. Hence the incentive for the home owner to not ask for the Part P, and for some types of electricians to fail to discuss up front this when doing CU jobs.

Well it did show up some problems where various bits had been spurred off one socket, at some time in the past, which he worked hard to fix and didn't ask for any extra for, so I suppose paying for the certificate will only be fair.

But I do wish it had been discussed in advance.

Thanks for the help.

Slarti

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » December 13th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Moderator Message:
I have merged the two threads on this subject (moving the other one to here) (chas49)

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 13th, 2018, 11:53 pm

Slarti wrote:So issuing the certificate for a consumer unit replacement should be automatic, not an additional cost? And not need to be requested by me?
Hi, it should be, yes. I try to send mine along with my invoice (although if I'm short of money I sometimes invoice first and provide the certificate a little later). It is quite a bit of work so I charge £30 as it takes me at least an hour to do a certificate for a normal-sized consumer unit. I put this on any estimates I've been asked to supply prior to doing the work.

The notification to building control doesn't take very long but does involve a small cost, which could quite legitimately be passed on to the customer as the installer wouldn't incur it if the work were not done.

Part P is not something that is requested or not requested. It is a chapter of the building regulations that stipulates whether the local authority need be notified of work done to the fixed electrical installations of UK dwellings. It does not apply to industrial or commercial buildings. It only applies to certain zones within bathrooms/wet rooms/saunas & gardens and also to new circuits/consumer units. I have been told there is a £1000 fine both for installers and for customers if notifiable work is not notified. I have no idea whether this is true or not.

Regards,
Chris

Return to “Building and DIY”