Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Painting varnished pine

Does what it says on the tin
rivershiven

Painting varnished pine

Postby rivershiven » January 3rd, 2019, 2:37 pm

Looking into painting over previously varnished Red Deal (Scots Pine) doors with white satinwood. It's not for me but no doubt I'll be called upon to lend a hand if it is a job for fairly practical DIYer to undertake.

Lots of info online but looking for any personal experiences please. As with anything like this I'm sure it's all about the preparation but would appreciate any tips from anyone who has undertaken something similar. How much sanding is required? What primer/undercoat to use?How many coats etc?

Thanks

RS

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Painting varnished pine

Postby DrFfybes » January 3rd, 2019, 4:00 pm

Key with 60 or 80 grit sandpaper - as long as the existing varnish is sound then you just need to 'matt up' the surface. 60 grit will take any lumps off as well.

Depending on if you want water or oil nased paint, just look on the tin and follow the instructions (I gather water based paints are fussy about the primer/undercoat but have no real experience).

We use oil paint - one coat of oil based universal primer and 2 coats of undercoat (wilko usually in the can with the orange band - others are probably as good but it is cheapish and I used to walk past the store on the way home from work).

ONE coat of Dulux professional gloss (Forrest Gump paint [1])

Let each coat dry overnight, and rub down lightly with 400 grade between coats. Wipe second coat of primer with white spirit on cloth or a tack cloth before glossing.

A gloss roller will speed things up massively on large flat surfaces, but takes a bit of getting used to to avoid runs

Paul

[1] Forrest Gump paint gives the impression of being thick, but runs like heck as soon as your back is turned.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 3rd, 2019, 4:49 pm

The OP said that he is to use satinwood, but I guess the principle is the same. I would if you can, hire a sanding machine and take as much of the varnish gloss off as you can. You risk chipping it otherwise and the paint needs a good 'key'. I tried using water based paint for doors when I was applying Dulux satinwood and it was awful. It ran into little globules such as you see on rain spattered (clean) windows no matter what I did. I strongly recommend oil based paint for both undercoat and the satinwood finish. Makes for a much better job I think but of course you have slightl;y more hassle in cleaning up afterwards.

Incidentally if you use Dulux you will probably need only one undercoat and the top finishing coat but you will be able to tell as the job progresses.

Dod

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 3rd, 2019, 10:45 pm

Dod101 wrote:The OP said that he is to use satinwood, but I guess the principle is the same.
[...]
Incidentally if you use Dulux you will probably need only one undercoat and the top finishing coat but you will be able to tell as the job progresses.

Dod

Correct - the second undercoat only really applies for a mirror gloss finish. I hadn't thought about the satin masking the imperfections.

Paul

rivershiven

Postby rivershiven » January 4th, 2019, 9:12 am

Thanks for replies. I'll pass on info & let them decide if they want to go ahead. I suspect it won't be until springtime if they decide to proceed.

RS

fisher
Lemon Slice

Postby fisher » January 4th, 2019, 4:00 pm

I've used this primer before with good results. Sticks to just about anything and allows overcoating of previously varnished surfaces. I've used it on plastic pipes to change colour from black to white and on varnished banisters.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-b-i- ... 1ltr/29661
https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-b-i- ... 5ltr/10130

I would hand sand the doors with 80 grit then prime with the above and then paint.

Return to “Building and DIY”