Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Quick'n'dirty floorplan software?

Does what it says on the tin
JonE
Lemon Slice

Quick'n'dirty floorplan software?

Postby JonE » January 10th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Any recommendations for, or experiences of, a simple, free, 2-D floorplan program?

There seem to be plenty with higher ambitions (and greater apparent complexity) than I require and I'm not a fan of web-based solutions so would prefer a local program that is 'just enough' to do the job. A 'Grand Designs' fly-through 3D rendering is definitely not required. It's simply an ad hoc requirement involving just one principal space for which I'm developing and exploring variants for open-plan, broken-plan and more conventional partitioning (latter already looking like a preferred option).

Scanning/printing/hand-adjusting/scanning cycles are tedious and introduce imprecision and my pen and ruler skills are non-existent so I end up with a series of scrappy, messy sketches instead of something that can be a basis for plans for lighting, power sockets, drainage and so on for others to consult. I had something suitable many years ago (handy features such as being able to specify a wall thickness and have walls drawn that way until you change the width setting, etc.) but can no longer find the 3.5" micro-floppy. :|

Cheers!
...apologies for duplicate. Webhost gave me an error on first submission...

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Quick'n'dirty floorplan software?

Postby csearle » January 11th, 2019, 7:51 am

JonE wrote:Any recommendations for, or experiences of, a simple, free, 2-D floorplan program?
Surprised at the lack of responses I've just had a quick scout around to see if such software exists at all these days. No recommendation or experience but this is someone else's recommendation on a forum somewhere...

Apparently CAD Standard has a free version that might do enough for you. There is a $37.50 version that might be worth it if the free version seems promising.

Regards,
Chris

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 11th, 2019, 8:14 am

I started using Room Sketcher https://www.roomsketcher.com/ which has a web version and a downloadable app. It seemed quite functional but I didn't persist long enough to really get the hang of it.

My needs were ultimately more simple, so I ended up using the Google Drawing facility found in Google Drive.

Scott.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 11th, 2019, 11:10 am

An excel spreadsheet, organised into squares.

JonE
Lemon Slice

Postby JonE » January 13th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Thanks for responses.

Not keen on characteristics such as watermarked prints or needing to create an account but it appears that creating simple, unrestricted floorplans simply and for free is no longer a niche worth addressing and rather more grown-up CAD dominates. I may press on for a while with CADstd to see whether the (less than) 20% I need is actually there and becomes more 'natural' in operation but also to verify that the ways I expect to overcome (potential) restrictions work as anticipated.

Cheers!

Return to “Building and DIY”