Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Central heating inhibitor

Does what it says on the tin
sg31
Lemon Quarter

Re: Central heating inhibitor

Postby sg31 » January 17th, 2019, 9:45 am

Howard and TheMotorcycleBoy, I stand corrected. If Fernox say it's ok I would take their advice.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » January 17th, 2019, 9:48 am

sg31 wrote:Howard and TheMotorcycleBoy, I stand corrected. If Fernox say it's ok I would take their advice.

No sweat! It's better to be safe than sorry.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » March 17th, 2019, 11:22 pm

By calculation, my central heating system has approx 200 litres of water in it, as most of the rads are double panel.

Therefore I need to put about 2 bottles of inhibitor in to get the required concentration. If I do any work on the system and lose a little water, I add another bottle.
Thanks to this approach, my boiler is still going fine. A friend who had one installed the same year has had his replaced due to corrosion.

I have 2 alternative ways of getting it into my pressurized system.
(i) Drain a little off, temporarily replace the auto bleed vent at the top of the system with a filler tube & SLOWLY fill via a funnel.
(ii) Pour into a radiator, if the rad has been drained for some other purpose.

When I lived in a house with a header tank, I just turned off the water, drained some out so the header tank was empty, poured the inhibitor in the header tank and then turned the water back on. A little bleeding is necessary.

Alternatively, if you just pour it in the header tank, it will probably mix in within a few days, but do it ASAP whilst the heating is still running regularly. Summer may be along soon.

Return to “Building and DIY”