Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Loose tank thermostat

Does what it says on the tin
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Loose tank thermostat

Postby bungeejumper » May 8th, 2019, 8:50 am

If only all problems were this easy to diagnose. ;) The wife complained that the hot water from our taps was running scalding hot, and on looking inside the airing cupboard I found that the tank thermostat had been knocked right out of the slot in the tank insulation where it had previously been sitting, and so it was no longer in contact with the tank at all. No wonder it wasn't saying anything useful to the control box!

It's a Drayton HTS3, like this one https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/images/housi ... _therm.jpg, and it looks to be a simple bi-metal strip affair, and in decent condition. My question is, how should it have been attached to the tank? Should it have been glued into place, or just wedged into place in the foam insulation, as it was? I have temporarily wedged it back into place with a lump of folded paper, but would be grateful for any advice.

Cheers

BJ

wilbobob
2 Lemon pips

Re: Loose tank thermostat

Postby wilbobob » May 8th, 2019, 9:14 am

Sometimes there's a thin metal strip that goes all around the tank. It has no spring tension so can be displaced. Has it fallen to the floor? if so you can probably just work it back up again.
If not a curtain wire as used for net curtains would work as a replacement

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » May 8th, 2019, 9:39 am

Yes I'll second the curtain wire around the tank method. It's held ours in place for 25years and it looks exactly what's been used in the picture link.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 8th, 2019, 11:21 am

Thanks, guys. I have found the (broken) retention wire dangling around the bottom of the tank and have reinstated it. Life is good. :)

BJ

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » May 9th, 2019, 7:30 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Thanks, guys. I have found the (broken) retention wire dangling around the bottom of the tank
So the bungee jumped off the stat. It had to happen sooner or later. C.

Return to “Building and DIY”