Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Cable or pneumatic cisterns

Does what it says on the tin
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Cable or pneumatic cisterns

Postby DrFfybes » June 9th, 2019, 11:04 pm

I have a Geberit pneumatic cistern in the built-in units. Model 109.720.00.1

Geberit have a 'push-fit' L-pipe into the pan AND at the cistern end, which moves over time and then leaks. They are pretty renowned for it, so rather than spend £6 (again) replacing the seal and have another stain in the ceiling below, I thought "Begerit" (see what I did there :) and decided to replace the cistern with one where the exit tube has a positive seal tightened up by a threaded nut.

The current one is bottom fed and is on the left and copper directly to the cistern inlet. I want to avoid running too much pipe and keep a bottom or left entry unit that I can connect either directly or by shortening the existing one and a short flexipipe connector,

I want to keep the existing pneumatic button (60mm cutout, 70mm front ring).

Anyone recommend a bottom left entry cistern with pneumatic actuators and a locking seal nut on the outlet?

thanks

Paul

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Cable or pneumatic cisterns

Postby bungeejumper » June 11th, 2019, 8:45 am

Sorry to see you haven't had a response yet. I imagine we're all stunned into terrified silence by the thought of a bottom entry toilet?

BJ

(Ob serious comment): I loathe and detest all push-fit pipework, especially in locations where a plastic pipe might sag and loosen. The work of the very devil. :evil: Never use anything but copper, which is neater anyway. I've seen flexible tails used on a toilet, but they also fail the neatness test. Harrumph.

I'm pretty sure that your local plumber's merchant would be your best bet, because (unlike Screwfix) it would be a hands-on experience. Take photos and precise measurements of your cistern, because the cheap Chinese ones like ours can be a law unto themselves. Don't ask me how I know...….

BJ

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 11th, 2019, 10:18 am

The last cistern I installed was cast iron. The internal workings consisted of a big cast-iron bell. It was of the type known as Pull-and-let-go.
Pre-war, never fitted, I bought it from a retired plumber in 1991.
It was connected to the pan by 5ft of lead downpipe, dating from 1920.

Eschew complexifications, I say.

When I was in our plumbers' merchants last week, they were trying to encourage me towards push-fit. No way, Jose.

This has some sort of screw thingy on the outlet
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Pneumati ... Swj4VcywRv
but it's alarmingly inexpensive.

V8

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 11th, 2019, 12:43 pm

88V8 wrote:This has some sort of screw thingy on the outlet
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Pneumati ... Swj4VcywRv
but it's alarmingly inexpensive.

V8

Thanks,

That does look like what i am after, right size (when i looked it up), correct entry point, pneumatic dual flush, positive seal on the bottom, and the flap on the front looks actually large enough to access without needing a mirror and a small child.

It is quite cheap, although the manufacturer lists it at double that. There's a very local firm listed as a distributor, and they will sell me the unit and a button the same size as existing for £70.

I see the newer Geberit ones still have the push fit pipe, but have a bracket included to clamp the flush pipe in place. Our installer used a wooden batten to support it, held in place with bath sealant, because what else would you use for fixing a wooden batten inside a laminated wooden cabinet?

Paul

Return to “Building and DIY”