Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Accoya Timber

Does what it says on the tin
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Accoya Timber

Postby bruncher » July 14th, 2019, 11:13 am

Has anyone tried Accoya timber?

This is wood that has been subjected to an acetylation process and is guaranteed not to rot for 50 years. It apparently also has less movement so if used for windows, nothing warps and the windows close tightly. Sounds too good to be true; apparently 'paint retention' is also superior. We've been recommended the windows, but also considering for decking. None of the suppliers give prices (except one on ebay).

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Accoya Timber

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 14th, 2019, 4:00 pm

It doesn't paint brilliantly. Well not compared to other woods. It seems to show a lot of grain through the paint. Use Teknos paint.

I can't tell you that any of the claims are genuine. But I've never had any issues yet. But we have only been using it for the last five years. We specify it in gates, windows and doors. We get all made by a local joinery firm.

The costs are horrendous though. Somewhere between 200 & 300% more than a UPVC window equivalent.

AiY

snagga

Postby snagga » July 14th, 2019, 11:41 pm

We had some Accoya windows and balustrading installed on the south- and sea-facing front of our house seven years ago. It is a very harsh environment for timber - direct sun plus wind, salt, rain blowing in from the sea which is directly across the road.

Experience to date matches the claims made. The only problem was getting paint to adhere in some places. I think we ended up using aluminium primer.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 16th, 2019, 3:18 pm

It needs to be glued with PU, not PVA. Ensure your joiner is aware, otherwise it will eventually dismantle itself.

I am painting it with Bedec MSP, too early to tell how it will last. I used their Stainblocker as a primer. I don't think UK paint manufacturers have a handle on it as yet, so buyers are blundering around in the dark. Unpainted, it dirties and looks a mess.

Its environmental footprint in terms of the manufacturing process is dreadful, if that matters to you. otoh, it's said to be good in terms of not leaching nasties into the environment.
https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/ar ... racle-wood

V8

Return to “Building and DIY”