Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Finding Architects?

Does what it says on the tin
flopski2
Lemon Pip

Finding Architects?

Postby flopski2 » July 16th, 2019, 10:48 am

We are looking to do some work on our house. Main requirement is to add a walk in shower room somewhere in the property. There are lots of options - push up to attic space, build over where garage was (was coverted to extra room in the past ), add extension to front or back of house. We are currently looking for an architect to guage what might be possible and what kind of rough budget we would need. We have been recommended one architect by word of mouth but no one else would recommend who they have used. Doe anyone know of a checkatrade type app for architects?

Would a builder be better at this "conceptual" stage?

There are complications with most of the ideas we have had (attic build would apparantly require self-closing fire doors in the rest of the house), the garage rebuild is complicated by it also being attached to the neighbours garage, building front and back not easy as we are on a (steep) hill (digging out the back complicated by limited access at side of house for any mechanical digger).

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Finding Architects?

Postby redsturgeon » July 16th, 2019, 1:01 pm

I would avoid an architect at all cost and I don't think this type of job justifies one. A good interior designer (not decorator) would be able to work out what layout would work best and a decent builder will be able to talk you through the pros and cons of different options.

All my dealings with architects have been sub optimal. In my experience they give no thought to your budget, want money even before they will give any ideas and their ideas can look nice but either turn out impractical or to build or too expensive for your budget or they just give some boring dated plan.

John

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 16th, 2019, 2:16 pm

.....and all my dealings with architects have been the exact opposite.

But I'm sure you are sensible enough not to let individual experiences cloud your judgement.....one way or the other !

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 16th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Years ago I used an architect for an extension. I did sketches, he worked them up.
His plans were not very buildable in some respects, but we had a good builder so that was OK.

Recently I used a highly recommended local conservation architect for a garage adjacent our GII house. They passed Planning, and there was some structural detail but not enough just to give them to any old builder. There is a difference between drawings for Planning permish, and plans to give a builder.
Again, we had a good builder although in this case it was me, and as I changed things as I went along anyway, the deficiencies in the plans weren't a big deal.

V8

flopski2
Lemon Pip

Postby flopski2 » July 16th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Thanks for the responses ... seems others have the same problem with architect profession.

Archtronics
Lemon Pip

Postby Archtronics » July 16th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Not really a job for an architect tbh.

What you want is an architectural technician they tend to focus on more domestic/lower fee types of work.
Quite a few companies and one man bands about, if you have one of those village news booklets there’s often a few people advertised in there.
Failing that posting for recommendations in a local Facebook group usually gets you a few options.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 16th, 2019, 4:12 pm

redsturgeon wrote:All my dealings with architects have been sub optimal. In my experience they give no thought to your budget, want money even before they will give any ideas and their ideas can look nice but either turn out impractical or to build or too expensive for your budget or they just give some boring dated plan.

Yes, same here. I have twice hired an architect and both times the results were effectively useless.

In both cases I abandoned their efforts. In one case the builder did the design. In the other case I did the drawings myself.

For entire new buildings I guess you need them. For projects to an existing home, you don't in my view and experience.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 16th, 2019, 7:03 pm

richlist wrote:.....and all my dealings with architects have been the exact opposite.

But I'm sure you are sensible enough not to let individual experiences cloud your judgement.....one way or the other !

I have hired and paid architects three times and had discussions with several more that went no further. In theory I am an admirer of the profession and a great fan of the famous icons like Frank Lloyd Wight and Le Corbusier, not to mention the Bauhaus school but the actual real life experience has not been great.

Perhaps I am not a good client, perhaps I have chosen the wrong people, perhaps I have been unlucky but talking to any of my friends who have used architects for domestic commissions I get a similar story to my own.

John

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 16th, 2019, 8:18 pm

flopski2 wrote:push up to attic space

Probably not. Technical issues raise costs. Limited room created for money spent
flopski2 wrote:Build over where garage was (was coverted to extra room in the past )

Possible but fraught with issues such as planning, design and possible structural issues with additional steels could be costly. Noting the original garage footings may need to be checked by a structural engineer to see if they can cope with additional loads.
flopski2 wrote:Add extension to front or back of house.

Back of house. I'm assuming you are in an existing street where "building lines" limit the extent to front extensions. Our construction costs range between £72 - £84/FT2 (exclusive of vat) before fit out. I'll have a quick look tomorrow and analyse a cost/FT2 for your work. These are "rough and ready" costs but they should clue you up to a budget.
flopski2 wrote:We are currently looking for an architect to gauge what might be possible and what kind of rough budget we would need. We have been recommended one architect by word of mouth but no one else would recommend who they have used. Doe anyone know of a checkatrade type app for architects?

Our architect is in house. We do need to give him plenty of guidance and feedback :roll:
flopski2 wrote:Would a builder be better at this "conceptual" stage?

No. You do need a design brief and drawings. Look for an architectural technician who works alone or in a small office. You can then send the drawings out to several builders to obtain value for money.
flopski2 wrote:There are complications with most of the ideas we have had (attic build would apparently require self-closing fire doors in the rest of the house), the garage rebuild is complicated by it also being attached to the neighbours garage, building front and back not easy as we are on a (steep) hill (digging out the back complicated by limited access at side of house for any mechanical digger).

Noted. Let the architectural technician resolve this.
  • What distance is the minimum distance down the side of the house?
  • What size room do you want?
  • How steep is the back garden? Does it fall away from the back wall?
  • What width is you house? Please describe it i.e. three bed detached house built in 1970
AiY
Quantity Surveyor :)

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » July 16th, 2019, 8:31 pm

I always used a structural engineer to do drawings and calculations. Cheaper than architects and more technical savvy.

Builders usually know one they use all the time. If not try Google and phone them. What you want is a small outfit or a one man band type. The big ones don't want small jobs and are expensive.

Return to “Building and DIY”