Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Replacement Plug

Does what it says on the tin
TeeJayCee

Replacement Plug

Postby TeeJayCee » July 29th, 2019, 5:33 pm

I have a Gtech HT04 Hedge Trimmer that is in perfect working order apart from the charger plug that has broken.(The input leads have come away from the plug).

Gtech have discontinued the HT04 and could not suggest any other supply source for the charger plug.

According to the Gtech manual for the HT04 manual the charger is as follows

Standard Charger type: AD-2315-BS8P
Charger input: 230V AC 50Hz
Charger output: 22.5V DC 150mA

The plug itself says:
Only for use with HT04
AC/DC Charger
Model CHA006009B
INPUT 100-240v 50/60Hz~300mA
Output 8-23V 450mA

Any help would be much appreciated. I would not trust myself soldering the leads back on so a plug replacement would seem to be my only alternative.

TIA.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Replacement Plug

Postby bungeejumper » July 29th, 2019, 7:30 pm

We might have a spare charger - our GTECH strimmer wore out about two years back, and it's not like me to have thrown it away. ;) (Our GTECH 04 hedge trimmer, which uses the same charger, is still going strong after five years.)

Drop me a PM, and if I can find it I'll put the charger in the post.

Cheers

BJ

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 29th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 29th, 2019, 7:59 pm

TeeJayCee wrote:
I would not trust myself soldering the leads back on so a plug replacement would seem to be my only alternative.

I can understand that, if the current plug is damaged where the cable enters it.

One option (although it looks like you may have been offered a very kind one already!) might be to see if you can open the trimmer itself and gain access to the rear of the DC charging socket.

If you can, then it might be worth considering changing both the socket and the plug, as this would then ensure that you've got a correct 'matched pair' in terms of them mating together correctly.

Here's a 30V DC plug and socket assembly for a couple of quid -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5Pair-Male-F ... 2586462761

So long as you ensure that the DC positive (+) goes to the centre pin on both the plug and the socket, then this would get you going again, I would think.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

TeeJayCee

Postby TeeJayCee » July 29th, 2019, 8:20 pm

bungeejumper wrote:We might have a spare charger - our GTECH strimmer wore out about two years back, and it's not like me to have thrown it away. ;) (Our GTECH 04 hedge trimmer, which uses the same charger, is still going strong after five years.)

Drop me a PM, and if I can find it I'll put the charger in the post.

Cheers

BJ

Many thanks. I have sent you a PM.

TeeJayCee

Postby TeeJayCee » July 29th, 2019, 8:26 pm

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 30th, 2019, 10:09 am

Drat, it's an HT05 adaptor, not an HT04. Output is rated at 17V, 600 mA, whereas your original charger was listed as 8-25 volts @ 450 mA. Model number is JY-170-060. Input is 100/240 volts @ 50/60 hz, and no amperage is listed. Like this one: https://www.gtech.co.uk/support/ht05-li ... arger.html.

All may not be lost, however. Interestingly, Mr Google suggests that the HT04 battery was/is rated at 18V, which would have meant that a charger kicking out up to 25 volts would surely have been overdoing it a little?

I leave it to other Fools to figure out whether this would make a suitable replacement? But you're very welcome to have it if you want to give it a go.

BJ

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 30th, 2019, 10:49 am

bungeejumper wrote:
I leave it to other Fools to figure out whether this would make a suitable replacement? But you're very welcome to have it if you want to give it a go.

I can't vouch for the suitability of your charger for the HT04, but what I would add to this thread is that although the OP has the CHA006009B charger for the HT04, when we look at the instruction PDF for the HT04 -

https://www.gtech.co.uk/assets/pdf/ht04.pdf

we can see on Page 6 of the above link that the CHA006009B is the 'fast charger', which is clearly difficult to get hold of in the UK now, but if we look above those details on Page 6, we can see that it also lists a different model charger, the AD-2315-BS8P, which has a lower output and will take longer to charge the hedge-trimmer -

The good news is that this slower charger, the AD-2315-BS8P, does look to have valid alternatives available for purchase -

https://www.acadaptorsrus.co.uk/replace ... rram-ar02/

I can't vouch for the above seller or charger, but just wanted to raise the issue of a possible alternative charger being available in the UK. Googling for the AD-2315-BS8P brings a few other UK-seller options too...

The above seller is available via Ebay if user-reviews might help vouch for the seller (they do seem to have a lot of positive feed-back..) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement- ... 1755006978

Also, one potential option for the OP of course, is that the male-connector section of the above slower charger could be cut off some way back from the plug, and then spliced onto the cable of the faster charger, if charging-times are important...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » July 30th, 2019, 12:16 pm

TeeJayCee wrote:I have a Gtech HT04 Hedge Trimmer that is in perfect working order apart from the charger plug that has broken.(The input leads have come away from the plug).

Gtech have discontinued the HT04 and could not suggest any other supply source for the charger plug.

According to the Gtech manual for the HT04 manual the charger is as follows

Standard Charger type: AD-2315-BS8P
Charger input: 230V AC 50Hz
Charger output: 22.5V DC 150mA

The plug itself says:
Only for use with HT04
AC/DC Charger
Model CHA006009B
INPUT 100-240v 50/60Hz~300mA
Output 8-23V 450mA

Any help would be much appreciated. I would not trust myself soldering the leads back on so a plug replacement would seem to be my only alternative.

TIA.

It's not clear what you have, what is broken, and whether it's repairable.

From what's been posted so far:
1) You have a "wall wart" charger, a box which has a integral 3pin mains plug, and the whole thing goes into the wall.
2) The cable is damaged either at the charger end, or at the end which connects to the hedge trimmer.
Which end is damaged? (Don't say "the plug end", because both ends have a plug!).

If the wallwart end is damaged, look to see if the charger can be opened so that the cable can be cut back and re-terminated.
If this isn't an option, look for a charger which meets the power requirements, and either then use the damaged cable to create an adaptor (the cable already has the end that fits the trimmer, fit a connector that matches the one on the new charger), or fit a flying lead on the trimmer, with a socket that matches the charger as below.

If the connector end is damaged, then look for a like for like replacement connector, or replace the cable and trimmer connectors as a pair.
You might want to even consider getting a short flying lead coming out of the trimmer with a moulded connector on it. (I've done this before where there was nowhere suitable to mount a new connector).

If you go down the flying lead route, you can buy coaxial power extension cables from CPC which you can chop in half
(I've done this before where there was nowhere suitable to mount a new connector), or buy a "power socket to bare ends"
The category is: https://cpc.farnell.com/c/cable-leads-c ... ower-leads
A socket with bare ends: https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppw00 ... dp/PW03411

TeeJayCee

Postby TeeJayCee » July 30th, 2019, 2:50 pm

Bungeejumper. Thanks for looking.It's a shame it was not the right adapter.

Itsallaguess. You really have gone into this very extensively and confirmed monabri's original suggestion. I will order the plug you advise. Thank you very much for your help.

Pochisoldi. It's the wall plug end that needs re soldering but I have not got enough experience to take the old solder off the circuit board and re solder the two wires. This is the plug at the moment https://postimg.cc/sGv6nQw9

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 30th, 2019, 2:59 pm

TeeJayCee wrote:
This is the plug at the moment https://postimg.cc/sGv6nQw9

To be honest, rather than paying £15 for the slower charger, I'd try to get that repaired given that it's a faster charging solution and it still looks very serviceable...

Have a look in your local paper for a TV repair-man or similar, and ask him for a quote. If he charges more than a fiver I'd be amazed...

If you've got an independent electrical retailer in town, then walking in with the complete wall-wart and cable will probably have you walking out in no time with a working unit...this sort of helpful job often brightens a dull day for most people!

You've got little to lose other than a little time, and you've also still got the 'Plan B' slower-charger option to fall back on...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

TeeJayCee

Postby TeeJayCee » July 30th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Thanks Itsallaguess. I will do what you say and let you know how I get on.

TeeJayCee

Postby TeeJayCee » August 1st, 2019, 6:34 am

Yesterday I tried to get the old plug soldered without success. The TV repair shop has been replaced with a barbers but I did find a computer repair shop.There was only a assistant available.They thought it would be no problem repairing the plug but it would cost at least a tenner!

I have decided to buy the AD-2315-BS8P and will live with the 15 hours charging time.

Thanks again for the invaluable help.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » August 3rd, 2019, 12:43 am

TeeJayCee wrote:Yesterday I tried to get the old plug soldered without success. The TV repair shop has been replaced with a barbers but I did find a computer repair shop.There was only a assistant available.They thought it would be no problem repairing the plug but it would cost at least a tenner!

I have decided to buy the AD-2315-BS8P and will live with the 15 hours charging time.

Thanks again for the invaluable help.

If I were in the same position, I would have put out the message "Does anyone know someone who knows how to solder?" to my local social networks.
The mates rates cost of that job is around one beer...

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » August 3rd, 2019, 3:15 am

TeeJayCee wrote:It's the wall plug end that needs re soldering but I have not got enough experience to take the old solder off the circuit board and re solder the two wires. This is the plug at the moment https://postimg.cc/sGv6nQw9

If you are anywhere near or are passing jct 8/9 on the M4 or the High Wycombe jct 4 on the M40, you will be 10 mins away from me and I will re-solder it for you.

PM for directions and phone number.

TeeJayCee

Postby TeeJayCee » August 4th, 2019, 6:48 am

When I asked the question I was not very hopeful of a positive response.

I have been amazed by the number of options offered.

The replacement plug arrives tomorrow and I am very hopeful the problem will be solved.

Return to “Building and DIY”