Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Cleaning sash windows

Does what it says on the tin
didds
Lemon Half

Cleaning sash windows

Postby didds » August 21st, 2019, 12:50 pm

Caveat: I have pretty much 0% ability at DIY/house stuff!

Our sash windows are in a bit of a state. I've now performed the DIY feat of my life by freeing them up from being painted shut so we can actually open the buggers, but they now really need a total strip down, several layers of old paint removing, and repainting. This will probably take me years particularly as in my head anyway I need a day of fine weather or two for each one and I've got 11 to do, with another six which are OK.

They haven't been touched for years and the outside "bits" are full of all sorts of dirt etc.

what's the best way to initially get rid of all this accumulated dirt and rubbish? its mostly spider web, leaves and leaf mould, and grime. Nothing terrible, just messy.

Would a pressure washer suffice as the initial clean up? As much as anything so they look tidy before I actually take them apart to rub down/strip then repaint?

didds

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Cleaning sash windows

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 21st, 2019, 1:04 pm

didds wrote:Caveat: I have pretty much 0% ability at DIY/house stuff!

Would a pressure washer suffice as the initial clean up? As much as anything so they look tidy before I actually take them apart to rub down/strip then repaint?

didds

Maybe, but I'd go easy on the pressure washer because you might end up blowing the glass in :o

Otherwise a brush, cloth, washing up bowl and a scraper should be useful.

Depending on how far you are taking them apart you might think about improving the insulation because many were fitted with nothing more than rolled up newspaper between the window frames and masonry.

RC

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Cleaning sash windows

Postby bungeejumper » August 24th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Initially, a weak solution of cleaner (I swear by Flash floor cleaner for most such jobs), aided if necessary by a supermarket sponge with a soft scourer. Rinse down and leave to dry thoroughly.

You'll then notice any flaws in the woodwork (if woodwork it be :) ), and cracks and missing bits in the putty (ditto). Don't settle for any cracks in the putty, the bad bits need to come out or they'll just crack right through your new layers of paint.

Oh, and has anybody mentioned checking the sash cords yet? If your windows are modern you might have spring counterweighting instead, but if not it's well worth giving them a once-over. Older sash cords often contained asbestos (because the last thing you want in a house fire is a sash cord that's burned through) - if in doubt, replace them. You know it makes sense. ;)

I was going to bore you with wood filler recommendations, but I see you're not at that stage yet. https://www.amazon.co.uk/SILVERHOOK-BIG ... B007Z4AIMO is my current fave because it stays sandable and fileable for quite a long time. But that's for the future.....

In my experience, you can set up a production line with sash windows so that one or two of them are drying while the third one is being painted. It won't take as long as you think. But do definitely read up on the best sequence for painting a sash window - it's a lost art, which can save time and torment. :lol:

BJ

Return to “Building and DIY”