Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Replacement seal for a bottle trap?

Does what it says on the tin
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Replacement seal for a bottle trap?

Postby bungeejumper » September 9th, 2019, 11:07 am

Does anyone know how I can fix a busted gasket seal on a bottle trap without having to fit a whole new trap? Is there a gasket goo I can use, or can I get a sheet of neoprene (etc) that will do it?

Our tenant has complained that there's a water leak from underneath the washbasin waste in her toilet - and, to cut a long story short, the most likely reason is that she's cleared the bottle trap and that the neoprene gasket-seal has broken.

Those seals can gush quite copiously, as I found out last year when it happened to me. :lol: But this is an ultra-slimline trap in a glorious chrome finish, and I don't think I can get another one at short notice. (Besides, I don't know the exact size - they do vary a lot, and it's a long way to drive so I'm hoping for a one-visit solution.)

Any suggestions from the experts?

TIA

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Replacement seal for a bottle trap?

Postby bungeejumper » September 9th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Late development: Okay, scrub that!

I have found a replacement trap (also in chrome finish) which I can get delivered tomorrow for twenty quid, so I shall go in and replace rather than repair. Will still want to repair the seal on the original trap, though, because I'm funny like that. I think I might be turning into my dad. :(

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 9th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Is it definitely leaking from the trap? The kitchen sink in my old place started leaking water, and it was the seal between pipe and basin - the pipe was held in place with a bolt down middle of plughole, which had worked loose. Just tightening this did the job

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » September 9th, 2019, 1:43 pm

I think that you have made the right decision to replace the trap.

Mine sometimes leaks, but it's from the joint where the trap connects to the waste pipe.

I recommend though that you search for gasket replacements for the new trap while you have it and the one that you are removing when you have that.

I say "gasket", because that's the word that you used, but I suspect that it's a "O ring". If you know the correct size then buying replacement O rings is easy.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 9th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Cheers AC, glad you got your basin sorted. This one didn't have a middle bolt, just a helluva big nut underneath the waste, and all the sealant was OK. And the leakage the tenant describes sounds too biblical to have been just a sideways leak - I think it must be occurring at some kind of a pressure point.

For reasons too obscure to explain, I think that this particular tenant may have caused her own problems. :( But I'd rather spend twenty quid on the offchance of being right first time than turn up, drive away, find the right shop with the right bit (if it's available at all, of course), drive back, fit the part, and then wonder where my afternoon's gone?

LOL, landlordism can be like that sometimes. :lol:

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 9th, 2019, 2:28 pm

For reasons too obscure to explain, I think that this particular tenant may have caused her own problems

The mind boggles...

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » September 9th, 2019, 4:20 pm

bungeejumper wrote:For reasons too obscure to explain, I think that this particular tenant may have caused her own problems. :(

BJ

You know you can't just leave us all hanging like that, don't you :lol:

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 12th, 2019, 8:48 am

staffordian wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:For reasons too obscure to explain, I think that this particular tenant may have caused her own problems. :(

You know you can't just leave us all hanging like that, don't you :lol:

Okay, here it comes. There was nothing wrong with the trap, except that it was completely full of mud. Yes, mud. The two ladies had been flushing their facial mudpacks down the sink until it had blocked, and then one of them had left the tap running, and the blocked overflow had backed up.

At which point there was water everywhere, and they complained about it and wanted us to come and fix it.

Mostly, we manage to love our tenants..... :evil:

BJ

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 12th, 2019, 8:55 am

bungeejumper wrote:... this is an ultra-slimline trap ...

Any suggestions from the experts?

Don't need to be an expert ...

:-)

Scott.

Return to “Building and DIY”