Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

TV's & Wireless Connections

Does what it says on the tin
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

TV's & Wireless Connections

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » September 9th, 2019, 9:19 pm

We have a fibre connection to our home. Our router delivers both 4G & 5G.

We have two wireless TV's. One is in the lounge about 3M from the router and one in an upstairs bedroom. I also use my laptop which is about 1M away from the router.

I never have any issues using the wi-fi on my laptop. We have an ethernet connection to the lounge TV as that was constantly buffering when we tried to use wi-fi. Recently we moved the upstairs TV about 2.5M and it's now constantly buffering. Although it sometimes stuttered and buffered before it was moved it was infrequent.

The router is new and was installed by Kingston Telecommunications about 4 months ago.

I'm hoping someone can tell me the cheapest solution to this please? I have ordered a CAT6 Ethernet cable about 15m long just as a temporary solution and just to test the upstairs TV without wireless.

Have I seen a dual "socket" system which uses electrical sockets to move the data and transfer it wirelessly at either end or is my knowledge of electrical magic things as good as my looks :lol:

Noting my life is in my your hands as I have two ladies who love everything TV and books poised to tear me limb from limb should the upstairs TV remain out of action for much more than a nanosecond :roll: Eeek :shock:

AiY

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: TV's & Wireless Connections

Postby ReformedCharacter » September 9th, 2019, 9:28 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
Have I seen a dual "socket" system which uses electrical sockets to move the data and transfer it wirelessly at either end or is my knowledge of electrical magic things as good as my looks :lol:

AiY

You probably mean these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/powerline-adap ... =430576031

RC

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » September 9th, 2019, 9:35 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Have I seen a dual "socket" system which uses electrical sockets to move the data and transfer it wirelessly at either end or is my knowledge of electrical magic things as good as my looks

There are devices which can use the copper wiring in your electrical ring main to send signals. It doesn't necessarily need wifi to work.

The key phrase for searches is "Powerline adaptor"

One of the many links that comes up

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-cent ... s-3490638/

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » September 9th, 2019, 9:46 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:

AiY

You probably mean these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/powerline-adap ... =430576031

RC

Thank you. You saved my life :lol:

AiY

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » September 9th, 2019, 9:49 pm

Alaric wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Have I seen a dual "socket" system which uses electrical sockets to move the data and transfer it wirelessly at either end or is my knowledge of electrical magic things as good as my looks

There are devices which can use the copper wiring in your electrical ring main to send signals. It doesn't necessarily need wifi to work.

The key phrase for searches is "Powerline adaptor"

One of the many links that comes up

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-cent ... s-3490638/

Many many thanks. I can breath again :lol:

AiY

Return to “Building and DIY”