Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Dewalt and Ryobi Cordless

Does what it says on the tin
Pheidippides
2 Lemon pips

Dewalt and Ryobi Cordless

Postby Pheidippides » September 14th, 2019, 2:56 pm

The world of power tools expands, seemingly infintely.

Many years ago I simultaneously found my self wanting a new cordless circularand a reciprocating saw. I bought a DeWalt multi-kit-in-a-bag with both, plus a jigsaw to boot. Massively impressed I have since bought a battery adaptor (as they changed the design) and have recently replaced my old Bosch cordless drill with a new, shiny DeWalt one, with which I am delighted. I buy all my batteries, blades and drills in the US as they are very much cheaper - which brings me to my problem

I'm in the US at the moment and was tempted with a nailgun (I've always wanted one and now have found the job that "needs" one *)

However the DeWalt DCN681 (£335 from Amazon.co.uk) is still a fairly whopping $270 (incl tax) from Amazon.com

The Ryobi P320 however is "only" $124 and it generally compares well in the reviews - this is on its way to me as we speak.

This leaves me with the problem of batteries. Do I buy a Ryobi battery and a charger here (I have a 240V/120V voltage adaptor already in the UK), or do I buy the UK equivalent or do I buy an ugly-but-effective adaptor for my existing DeWalt batteries? Is there any reason (other than aesthetics) to buy the Ryobi-badged battery?

Regards

Pheid

* - The job is to fix some 1/4" galvanised netting https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fencer-Wire ... /306743893 that I've also bought in the US - Ridiculously cheaper here than in the UK

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Re: Dewalt and Ryobi Cordless

Postby bionichamster » September 15th, 2019, 11:10 pm

Beware the battery adapter.

Lithium batteries usually have a protection circuit to prevent the battery from being completely and damagingly drained. Some makes have it on the tool others in the battery. If you use a battery from the former type of system with the latter there will be no protection. Thus you have to be really sure that the adapter has the required circuitry in it to protect the battery.

I have a DeWalt drill and I also have jcb nicad that it replaced. The jcb is In great condition but the batteries were crap and became pretty useless quite quickly. I had the bright idea of buying an adapter for fitting DeWalt batteries to another make and then modifying it to fit the jcb. It would work, but on researching it I discovered that the DeWalt has the protection circuit on the drill so using the unprotected battery with the older tech jcb might risk over draining it and frankly I decided not to take the risk although I may buy a cheap secondhand DeWalt battery at some point and modify the adaptor and jcb just for fun but the battery I have just now is too expensive to risk.

So just be carful choosing an adapter if you go down that route. I think the Ryobi has circuitry in the battery so you’ll need an adapter with protection or you’ll have to remember not to run the battery down.

Of course I may have misremembered some of that..

Bh

Return to “Building and DIY”