Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Eggshell Finish

Does what it says on the tin
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Eggshell Finish

Postby bruncher » October 2nd, 2019, 9:48 am

We had shelving put in, and painted with an eggshell finish. After four days the paint still seems soft and I am trying to understand why. If the decorator did not allow sufficient drying time between coats, would that account for it?

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Eggshell Finish

Postby swill453 » October 2nd, 2019, 10:00 am

bruncher wrote:We had shelving put in, and painted with an eggshell finish. After four days the paint still seems soft and I am trying to understand why. If the decorator did not allow sufficient drying time between coats, would that account for it?

Is it water based? That can take a long time to harden up in my experience.

Scott.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » October 2nd, 2019, 10:11 am

swill453 wrote:
bruncher wrote:We had shelving put in, and painted with an eggshell finish. After four days the paint still seems soft and I am trying to understand why. If the decorator did not allow sufficient drying time between coats, would that account for it?

Scott.

Yes, farrow and Ball eggshell. If the intermediate layers have not dried properly, and are sealed in by one or more further coats, will they ever properly dry or will there always be an overall softness?

JoyofBricks8
2 Lemon pips

Postby JoyofBricks8 » October 2nd, 2019, 11:11 am

bruncher wrote:
swill453 wrote:

Scott.

Yes, farrow and Ball eggshell. If the intermediate layers have not dried properly, and are sealed in by one or more further coats, will they ever properly dry or will there always be an overall softness?

Farrow and Ball: Might as well have painted the shelves with liquidised tenners....

I am sure it will harden given sufficient time. Since the eco-loons started bleating about VOCs most paint sold is utterly inferior in quality with recommended drying times correspondingly much longer.

Glad to be in Malaysia, where one can still buy decent paint, and real paint stripper that actually works. Ever tried to use modern environmentally friendly psintstripper? Might as well book a fortnights holiday while waiting for it to do anything. Dichloromsthane actually works, but seems to be too good to sell to punters in the UK. I guess the EU have banned it or similar nanny state nonsense.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » October 2nd, 2019, 12:11 pm

Dichloromethane paint stripper is available in the UK but the user must have completed an HSE safety course first.

JoyofBricks8
2 Lemon pips

Postby JoyofBricks8 » October 2nd, 2019, 12:35 pm

stewamax wrote:Dichloromethane paint stripper is available in the UK but the user must have completed an HSE safety course first.

It would be an interesting actuarial project to calculate if the loss of healthy lifespan to the HSE course exceeded the loss of healthy lifespan to the DCM chemical.

I can confirm that DCM stings like a bastard when it splashes on to bare skin, but the irritation is as nothing to the pain of sanding away polyurethane for days when the eco stuff fails to work. Nor is anyone is counting the cost of life lost to apoplexy and rage due to buying crappy ineffective eco-stripper and paint. Eco-loons love to carp about negative externalities: I think the world is overlooking that particular hypertensive externality.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » October 2nd, 2019, 12:52 pm

I'm not making a general complaint about Farrow & Ball or water-based paints. Actually I think F & B have created some fab colours, and I don't like gloss / white spirit etc.

JoyofBricks8
2 Lemon pips

Postby JoyofBricks8 » October 2nd, 2019, 1:10 pm

I am a brilliant white trade bucket kinda guy, but I must confess I too am a fan of the exquisite names of the colour palette from the coatings division of Ares Private Equity. “Elephant breath” anyone? Does that mean grey?

Price and drying times are, for me, somewhat suboptimal vs the cheap and cheerful stuff I tend to use on my projects. That’s what makes a market though, so it’s all good. Glad someone somewhere is buying the funky colours.

tango2082

Postby tango2082 » October 2nd, 2019, 7:34 pm

Whilst discussing Farrow and Ball, it's worth mentioning for those who don't know.....

Johnstones Paint Centres have all the Farrow and Ball recipes in their mixing machines. The can mix any Farrow and Ball colour in any finish for a fraction of the price. I have some lovely F&B colours in my house, all mixed by Johnstones!

Regards
Tango

Return to “Building and DIY”