Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Fitted Wardrobes

Does what it says on the tin
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Fitted Wardrobes

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 6th, 2019, 2:25 am

I still need to put up fitted wardrobes in my new bedroom. I have just under three metres of wall allocated.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any recommendations regarding the quality I get with a relatively-cheap easy-assembly kit. Candidates I have seen online are B&Q "Darwin" or IKEA "Platsa" or "Pax" (note, the links are less than ideal, as they seem to present you with readymade units and you have to go a little further for kit).

Any recommendations amongst those for what to go for or to avoid? Any other recommendations?

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Re: Fitted Wardrobes

Postby EssDeeAitch » October 6th, 2019, 6:06 am

We found that having wardrobes designed and fitted the company below was actually cheaper than IKEA and better quality as well. They are a north east company so may not work for you but you can get an idea on cost as they have a design and cost tool that you can use.

https://www.slidingdoorwardrobecompany.co.uk

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 6th, 2019, 9:46 am

My experience with Ikea furniture is that it is fine, but clearly built to a price point with nothing extra at all. Wherever a cost saving can be made it will be. However I have found if you accept that it is fine, and certainly better quality than that from the DIY sheds. You can improve the quality of the final Ikea product if you make some relatively easy additions, such as buying and applying some glue to the joints, etc. to stiffen them up.

In comparison to a bespoke fitted system (obviously ignoring the absurd prices charged by certain companies) then obviously any component fitted system isn't going to fit perfectly and it will always be obvious it came from a kit. When I sourced some wardrobes for my parents new flat a couple of years back the difference between a professionally fitted installation and a kit wasn't as big as I expected, and we went with the former and they have been very pleased with it.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 6th, 2019, 2:12 pm

That's two of you recommending bespoke. Do you get anything so classy as genuine wood with that, or a finish such as hessian to something cheap-and-otherwise-nasty? What about drawers and shelves: surely your fitters will use kit for those, or they're going to cost an extra arm-and-a-leg to make from scratch?

My last place had something custom-made but probably a DIY job by the landlord (who I understand works with his hands). As soon as I opened the (poorly-)sliding mirror doors and saw inside, it was quite a lot worse than a B&Q or IKEA kit, and that makes me kind-of wary.

My wardrobes can't quite be floor-to-ceiling in any case: they have to go under a big beam which it would be a huge shame to hide (photo here - wardrobes will go from the stone wall on the right to stop just before the second power point and the big bolt in the beam; bed is the opposite side of the room). One factor in favour of the B&Q or IKEA offerings is that their just-over-2m sizes will fit nicely into the 205cm available below the beam.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » October 6th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Just put in some IKEA wardrobes for my daughter, they are absolutely fine. They feel very sturdy even without putting glue on the dowels and my daughter is very happy with them.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 6th, 2019, 9:16 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:That's two of you recommending bespoke. Do you get anything so classy as genuine wood with that, or a finish such as hessian to something cheap-and-otherwise-nasty? What about drawers and shelves: surely your fitters will use kit for those, or they're going to cost an extra arm-and-a-leg to make from scratch?

I thought I was clear, but just in case.

Ikea stuff is fine, perfectly adequate, and I have bought plenty of it. If I was choosing between Ikea and a DIY shed it would Ikea every time.

My point was that the price difference between fitted (from a local firm and not the crazy prices from certain national retailers) and Ikea is not as wide as I expected and obviously the fitted furniture actually fits rather than just sits against the wall with gaps at the ends and the top.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 7th, 2019, 12:49 am

AF62 wrote:I thought I was clear, but just in case.

I think you were indeed clear, and apologies for failing to say the thanks due to you and other respondents here!

You have indeed given me food for thought. Maybe I shall solicit some ballpark bespoke quotes for this and another (smaller) prospective-DIY-assembly job due, and see if that yields any pleasant surprises!

Return to “Building and DIY”