Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Grenhouse Insulation

Does what it says on the tin
Meatyfool
Lemon Slice

Grenhouse Insulation

Postby Meatyfool » December 5th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Bubble wrap on inside of front gable (flap to allow access via door), on both sides up to the ridgeline.

Insulation board to north gable, and insulation board sandwiched by osb with plastic sheet and stones on top.

I have a condensation problem and I'm reasonably certain it is because I have taped all the bubble wrap edges together and onto the insulation board on the north gable.

The greenhouse is not totally airtight, the bubble wrap is not taped down at the floor and there is the flap at the door. I have door insulation strip on the door to cover gaps between frame and door.

To best maintain temperature you are supposed to stop heat leaking out through gaps.

I suspect I have gone over the top. But what should I do to alleviate the condensation that won't overly negate the insulation?

I have never got my head around the opposing requirements of insulation and ventilation as you can tell!

Meatyfool..

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Grenhouse Insulation

Postby bungeejumper » December 5th, 2019, 3:44 pm

LOL, you're reminding me of certain flat tenants I've had,who've insulated everything up to the max, and who've then complained about the damp and condensation in the bedrooms. :)

Some day, the message is going to sink in to the wider world that people have to do more than just insulate, because all that will do is hold the existing moisture level and will actually encourage the growth of mould. :?

But you know all that, by the sound of it. So start by acquiring a couple of humidity meters (£3-4 each) and then identifying the highest areas of humidity in the greenhouse. Then figure out where you can best help matters by stimulating a bit of airflow.

Heating a greenhouse is an extravagance in the winter (and some paraffin heaters can make the damp problem worse), but it's a different balance that everyone has to strike. Should I aim to nurse my petunias and my banana plant through the winter, or should I save myself £100 and buy new plants in the spring?

Whichever you go for, aim to wash all the glass surfaces with disinfectant in the spring if you want to avoid mould in your plants. Don't ask me how I know!

BJ

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » December 5th, 2019, 7:30 pm

The greenhouse is nearly airtight to keep warm air in, put simple this means the moisture laden airs cannot escape and hence it will simply condense out in the coldest places.

Your solution is to ventilate or actively remove it.
You might run a dehumidifier When the gh is at its warmest and that might help but the expense will increase further.

One thought is to have an automatic vent that opens when it is warm to let moisture laden air out and closes when it cools. But I have a feeling You may not get a device sensitive enough to achieve that at the relative temps required in winter, perhaps others can confirm. Also they can be a danger in high wind condors, Which are morecommon in winter.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » December 6th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Use only electric heating as paraffin or gas produce huge amounts of moisture. Make sure it’s on an RCD of some sort. Keep the plants barely moist, few grow much in winter anyway as there’s little light. Don’t leave full water containers/watering cans around (even though it might be good for the plants). Open the door/vent on any day which is warmer than your set temperature. I also have a large fan running as the air movement from most heaters is insignificant.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » December 6th, 2019, 4:39 pm

quelquod wrote:Use only electric heating as paraffin or gas produce huge amounts of moisture. Make sure it’s on an RCD of some sort. Keep the plants barely moist, few grow much in winter anyway as there’s little light. Don’t leave full water containers/watering cans around (even though it might be good for the plants). Open the door/vent on any day which is warmer than your set temperature. I also have a large fan running as the air movement from most heaters is insignificant.

=====

i have used a electric fan heater - plenty of circulation from that .

:)

Return to “Building and DIY”