Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

New Shed Summerhouse - Treated Wood Cut Ends & Generally Colour Choices

Does what it says on the tin
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

New Shed Summerhouse - Treated Wood Cut Ends & Generally Colour Choices

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 26th, 2020, 9:35 am

We're considering a combi summerhouse shed. It will be timber (vac vac or pressure treated).

When treated timbers are cut they should be retreated (2 coats of a brushed application)

I suspect that no matter how much I ask [potential] suppliers to reassure me this is done I have no way of checking all of the cuts.

Also we'd like to add some colour and prefer to steer away from wax based products.

Does anyone have any experience of a good product they could recommend please?

Thank you

AiYn'U

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: New Shed Summerhouse - Treated Wood Cut Ends & Generally Colour Choices

Postby bungeejumper » April 26th, 2020, 3:09 pm

I'm still using a 25 year old five litre can of Cuprinol 5 Star wood preservative, which is clear and soaks in very deep. Pricey, but a litre goes a long way. ;)

If I were adding colour, I'd probably treat that as a separate operation. (I'm assuming you'd want to match the cut ends to what you'd already got - or did you want to start from fresh with an all-over colour?)

BJ

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 27th, 2020, 8:54 pm

We used this Screwfix product on fencing.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... 5ltr/23266

Also available in clear and light brown.

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » May 3rd, 2020, 9:12 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:We're considering a combi summerhouse shed. It will be timber (vac vac or pressure treated).

When treated timbers are cut they should be retreated (2 coats of a brushed application)

I suspect that no matter how much I ask [potential] suppliers to reassure me this is done I have no way of checking all of the cuts.

Also we'd like to add some colour and prefer to steer away from wax based products.

Thank you

AiYn'U

Did you find a product that suited?

I'm scratch building a shed and for some reason Mrs BH wants it green or blue (personally a bog standard dark brown stain would suit me), however she has her eye on these fancy pastel shades which as far as I can tell are just paints, no doubt with peel issues at some point down the line. The problem is that the shed will be positioned near a fence and among trees and bushes which will make it difficult to sand or scrape if that is required by a coating in the future. Thus I need a stain that just soaks in and can be repeatedly brushed on top of the previous layer (using a long brush or even a sprayer . Preferably that also stains green (I don't care the shade of green, if it's hideous she'll only have herself to blame if that's all that's available)

BH

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 3rd, 2020, 9:16 am

I've just chucked half a tin of Cuprinol "shades" out that was dried up. We kept is as spare paint for some shelves we did in the greenhouse about 15 years ago and haven't needed it.

Paul

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 3rd, 2020, 9:57 am

bionichamster wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:We're considering a combi summerhouse shed. It will be timber (vac vac or pressure treated).

Thank you

AiYn'U

Did you find a product that suited?

I'm scratch building a shed and for some reason Mrs BH wants it green or blue (personally a bog standard dark brown stain would suit me), however she has her eye on these fancy pastel shades which as far as I can tell are just paints, no doubt with peel issues at some point down the line. The problem is that the shed will be positioned near a fence and among trees and bushes which will make it difficult to sand or scrape if that is required by a coating in the future. Thus I need a stain that just soaks in and can be repeatedly brushed on top of the previous layer (using a long brush or even a sprayer . Preferably that also stains green (I don't care the shade of green, if it's hideous she'll only have herself to blame if that's all that's available)

BH

I haven't no sorry. I'm in betwixt a million household chores currently and haven't had the time to Google it. I was thinking about Sikkens external wood stain but suspect when I look at the cost it may rule itself out. We can't quite fit a summerhouse shed combo in the area we have prepared. So I suspect it will be a timber summerhouse and a "plastic" shed. The summerhouse will be opposite the French doors on the dinning room at the rear of course. And it will be about 6m from it. We are south facing at the back. I may have set myself an ambitious target in trying to keep it for more than 15 years?

AiYn'U

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » May 3rd, 2020, 12:07 pm

We have a 14ft x 10ft summer house that's 25years old and in perfect condition.

We laid a concete slab with a sheet of damp proofing. The summer house is on timber bearers all pre treated with preserver. We fitted guttering and every 3 or 4 years we recoat with cuprinol wood preserver stain (colour cedar)......it doesn't come in blue or green as far as I know.

So having it last 15 years is perfectly achievable.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 3rd, 2020, 12:19 pm

richlist wrote:We have a 14ft x 10ft summer house that's 25years old and in perfect condition.

We laid a concete slab with a sheet of damp proofing. The summer house is on timber bearers all pre treated with preserver. We fitted guttering and every 3 or 4 years we recoat with Cuprinol wood preserver stain (colour cedar)......it doesn't come in blue or green as far as I know.

So having it last 15 years is perfectly achievable.

Thank you. I was toying with the idea of guttering. I'll add that to the budget. I'll have a look at Cuprinol wood stain this afternoon. By some strange universal coincidence I think our summerhouse will be the same size as yours. Is it shiplap boarding please? With it being close to the house I obviously want something to just blend in a little and not end up looking like a spot on a pigs bum :roll: I suspect my MD will be happy with Cedar or if available Grey. Bloody battleship grey everywhere one goes these days :shock:

AiYn'U

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » May 3rd, 2020, 12:47 pm

Ours is made of tongue & groove horizontal planks that have a radius on the outside and are flat on the inside.

A couple of other insights from someone who has lived with a summer house for 25+ years.....

* We have a pitched roof.....it's better than a flat. We find the felt lasts about 10 years and we get ours redone for around £150 inc materials. I think shingles would look better and next time the felt needs replacing I'm gonna get it priced.

* Since purchase we have fitted an additional window. It's not that we needed more light but the window it came with doesn't open. It gets very hot inside in the summer and fitting an opening window means we can leave the window open for ventilation virtually the whole of the summer.

* Recommend you make some provision for electricity.....lights, sockets.

* If you are planning on using it in winter beware it gets mighty cold inside......so, insulation and or heating might be needed.

* If you are storing anything valuable don't overlook locks or linking to your house alarm system.
Good luck

Return to “Building and DIY”