Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Installing a new built in Electric Oven & Gas Hob

Does what it says on the tin
Andy46
2 Lemon pips

Installing a new built in Electric Oven & Gas Hob

Postby Andy46 » May 2nd, 2020, 4:57 pm

Hi,

Maybe a silly question. But how do I go about replacing a built in Electric Oven & Gas Hob which is located above the oven.

My plan was to order both from currys and get them to install them. But they won't make changes to the kitchen and all the gas hobs I look at are slightly bigger than mine, so the hole in the worksurface may need making larger.

Of course if they turn up, realise this, can they still install the oven or will the hob need installing first so as to be able to secure any brackets underneath?

Thanks
Andy

Andy46
2 Lemon pips

Re: Installing a new built in Electric Oven & Gas Hob

Postby Andy46 » May 2nd, 2020, 5:20 pm

A quick update. After just having read the info regarding installation on AO.com's website, it says their installers can amend worktops if needed. So maybe i'll just purchase the items from AO and pay for them to install it.

Does anyone have experience with currys or AO installers ??

Thanks

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » May 2nd, 2020, 5:24 pm

I wanted AO to supply and install a dishwasher replacing the broken one already there......exactly the same make etc.
They will only deliver.....they are not installing during the Covid19 emergency.

Suggest you check again Re installations.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 2nd, 2020, 5:30 pm

I am not familiar with gas hobs but can say that electric hobs almost always need a modification to the hole in the worktop. Sometimes the hole would have been suitable had it been cut cleanly and not wobbly or at something other than a 90 degree angle to the surface.

It should not be a problem if the oven is fitted first. It will have to be removed to fit the hob but it is usually just a case of removing two or four screws to allow the oven to be slid out.

Julian F. G. W.

Andy46
2 Lemon pips

Postby Andy46 » May 2nd, 2020, 6:45 pm

This is hard work lol. Another question.

AO's installation checklist says 'Do you have a cooker point in place (a big red switch) outside of the hot zone?'

My answer is No. My single electric oven is just plugged into a standard plug socket. This is on its own electric ring.

Help !!!

Andy46
2 Lemon pips

Postby Andy46 » May 2nd, 2020, 6:47 pm

richlist wrote:I wanted AO to supply and install a dishwasher replacing the broken one already there......exactly the same make etc.
They will only deliver.....they are not installing during the Covid19 emergency.

Suggest you check again Re installations.

Hi,

I'll check thanks, but their website says they are still installing built in cooking appliances.

Thanks

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » May 2nd, 2020, 9:38 pm

Andy46 wrote:This is hard work lol. Another question.

AO's installation checklist says 'Do you have a cooker point in place (a big red switch) outside of the hot zone?'

My answer is No. My single electric oven is just plugged into a standard plug socket. This is on its own electric ring.

Help !!!

Some ovens consume more power than a 13 amp socket can supply, others are ok. IIRC, one of the AO.com filters gives you the option to select one or other type.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 2nd, 2020, 10:02 pm

Andy46 wrote:This is hard work lol. Another question.

Help !!!

I suspect (and I am not an electrician - it's magic :lol: ) this is a health and safety question. I think ovens are "usually" on their own circuit which generally is a 30amp circuit (assuming it's a single oven - doubles and "Arga" style may require 45amp or more if they have a double oven and other toots flutes and whistles).

If the isolation switch for the circuit is outside the hot zone (an area which is too close to the hob for example - best to Google this or read what AO call "the hot zone") then they may by law be required to refuse to fit.

AiYn'U

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » May 3rd, 2020, 12:29 am

Andy46 wrote:
Of course if they turn up, realise this, can they still install the oven or will the hob need installing first so as to be able to secure any brackets underneath?

Thanks
Andy

It usuaa as lily takes about 5 mins to get an oven out of a standard fitted kitchen unit, and about Sam to get back in. Thus have the oven put in and then when you arrange the gas fitter it can be slid back out to allow hob replacement.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 3rd, 2020, 8:11 am

In my experience, single ovens almost always can run off of a 13A fused connection. The instructions may specify a 13A fuse. The specifications may also specify that the oven should be hard wired and not connected via a plug and socket. You should, however, have an isolator that you can get to (not necessarily a big, red, ugly switch). It could be something like this, https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-logic-plu ... erts/13479 above the worktop. Sometimes it is in a cupboard (far from ideal if you need to switch it off in an emergency) or above an integrated fridge-freezer so that you have to open the fridge to get to it. Grid switches are often used in new installations, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chrome-Customi ... B00WPUPD1E .

It really is just a two minute job to slide an oven out. They are held in by two or four screws. If, for any reason, AO will not connect the oven, just have them slide it in so that it is there ready to be connected. Single ovens just sit on a shelf. (Double ovens may have brackets/rails which have to be fitted. Some have legs and stand on the floor.)

Julian F. G. W.

Andy46
2 Lemon pips

Postby Andy46 » May 3rd, 2020, 11:09 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

Think i'm sorted now. I've found someone who says he will fit the oven and hob and he doesn't think there should be any issues with what i've described.

Thanks

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » May 4th, 2020, 9:37 am

Something to bear in mind is that newer ovens, due to having far better insulation, will often have less void space in their external dimensions, making them less tolerant of adjacent items, such as outlet sockets on the rear wall or gas piping to the hob above, projecting slightly into the new oven's 'space'.

We had a 8@5tard of a job fitting a fancy Neff oven into the slot vacated by an old Ikea one, requiring work by both sparky and gas fitter, and it was a bit touch and go whether we'd succeed or not.

My sparky pal says this is quite common now in his experience, and a regular PITA.

Andy46
2 Lemon pips

Postby Andy46 » May 6th, 2020, 3:37 pm

tikunetih wrote:Something to bear in mind is that newer ovens, due to having far better insulation, will often have less void space in their external dimensions, making them less tolerant of adjacent items, such as outlet sockets on the rear wall or gas piping to the hob above, projecting slightly into the new oven's 'space'.

We had a 8@5tard of a job fitting a fancy Neff oven into the slot vacated by an old Ikea one, requiring work by both sparky and gas fitter, and it was a bit touch and go whether we'd succeed or not.

My sparky pal says this is quite common now in his experience, and a regular PITA.

Thanks. I can return the oven upto 100 days, so i'll get the guy who fits it to make sure he at least roughly measures the space once the old oven is out before attempting to unpack and fit the new one.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 6th, 2020, 11:24 pm

tikunetih wrote:Something to bear in mind is that newer ovens, due to having far better insulation, will often have less void space in their external dimensions, making them less tolerant of adjacent items..... my sparky pal says this is quite common now in his experience, and a regular PITA.

Appliance bloat.
Often seen with washing machines projecting out of kitchen cabinets.

Also bear in mind if you need to slide the oven in & out, they're blooming heavy and awkward for one person unless you have an adjustable stand.

V8

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 7th, 2020, 12:18 am

88V8 wrote:Also bear in mind if you need to slide the oven in & out, they're blooming heavy and awkward for one person unless you have an adjustable stand.

Single ovens are usually not too bad; they often have handles at the sides. With most ovens, you can take the door off fairly easily; those glass doors are a significant part of the weight of the oven.

Julian F. G. W.

Return to “Building and DIY”