Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Gasa boiler flue

Does what it says on the tin
jtr63
Lemon Pip

Gasa boiler flue

Postby jtr63 » September 8th, 2020, 3:35 pm

Whilst fixing another problem, a British Gas technician has opined that our flue is dangerous and need of complete renewal. The problem is that the final part of the exhaust flue has been damaged. He has attempted to up-sell an full replacement at an exorbitant cost. Does anyone know the regulations that would govern the length / positioning / condition of the end of the flue so that I can assess what needs to be done.
TIA
John

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Gasa boiler flue

Postby staffordian » September 8th, 2020, 3:58 pm

Do you have access to the installation manual for your boiler, perhaps online?

Ones I've seen usually have chapter and verse on how flues need to be installed, with relevent measurements as to minimum clearances in all directions from the roof, walls, windows etc.

This might give you what you need.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 8th, 2020, 4:09 pm

jtr63 wrote:
Whilst fixing another problem, a British Gas technician has opined that our flue is dangerous and need of complete renewal. The problem is that the final part of the exhaust flue has been damaged.

He has attempted to up-sell an full replacement at an exorbitant cost.

Does anyone know the regulations that would govern the length / positioning / condition of the end of the flue so that I can assess what needs to be done.

You can often get spare parts for many types of boiler flue's, especially given that they are designed and installed in a modular nature to suit the many and varied configurations necessary, so are you able to tell us the make and model of the boiler, and perhaps even provide a photo of the broken section of flue?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » September 8th, 2020, 7:25 pm

jtr63 wrote:Whilst fixing another problem, a British Gas technician has opined that our flue is dangerous and need of complete renewal. The problem is that the final part of the exhaust flue has been damaged. He has attempted to up-sell an full replacement at an exorbitant cost. Does anyone know the regulations that would govern the length / positioning / condition of the end of the flue so that I can assess what needs to be done.
TIA
John

My flue end cowl is secured by just four screws accessible from the outside wall.

As others have said, exact spares might be available and easy to fit.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 8th, 2020, 9:21 pm

Ok, chapter and verse:

The flue must be the correct flue for the make and model of boiler, and installed in compliance with the manufacturer's instructions (MI).

The MI are king, trumping even the gas regulations. The MI will give full details about length and gradient and will contain a complex diagram detailing acceptable terminal locations complete with minimum dimensions from corners, obstructions, air vents, doors, windows etc.

So in order to comment constructively on the OP's flue in particular we need firstly the make and model of boiler, and secondly photos of the supposed damage please. I can say however, that one is unlikely to need to replace a whole flue if only the terminal is damaged, unless the flue is so short the terminal fits straight onto the boiler.

Return to “Building and DIY”