Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

High praise for a local boiler company

Does what it says on the tin
Redmires
Lemon Slice

High praise for a local boiler company

Postby Redmires » December 25th, 2020, 3:55 pm

My elderly mother-in-law had a boiler replacement a couple of years ago. We found a small, local company who put in a Valiant and she took out an annual contract with them. The price for the install and contract was well below what the bigger boys charge. She phoned us this morning to say that the heating had failed this morning when she got up. She called the company at 9am and the boiler was up and running within the hour. The guy on duty lived a couple of streets away and sorted the issue which was due to a pressure drop (water not gas). We are usually there for Christmas but due to the lockdown we are 200 miles away. So a big thanks to them. I said to my wife that if she still had the old BG contract, my ma-in-law would still be shivering on New Years day.

So..... it's my New Years resolution to use the smaller, local companies wherever I can in the future. And if that means spending a few more quid than I would normally pay on Amazon, Ebay etc then it's a small price to pay.

And finally, A very Happy Christmas and a better New Year for the guys (and gals ?) who run the Lemon Fool.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: High praise for a local boiler company

Postby stewamax » December 28th, 2020, 4:12 pm

... and if anyone turns up with a (genuine) apprentice, I am more than happy even if it costs a mite more (which, nevertheless, works out cheaper and usually better than the Big Boys.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: High praise for a local boiler company

Postby stevensfo » December 29th, 2020, 4:38 pm

Redmires wrote:My elderly mother-in-law had a boiler replacement a couple of years ago. We found a small, local company who put in a Valiant and she took out an annual contract with them. The price for the install and contract was well below what the bigger boys charge. She phoned us this morning to say that the heating had failed this morning when she got up. She called the company at 9am and the boiler was up and running within the hour. The guy on duty lived a couple of streets away and sorted the issue which was due to a pressure drop (water not gas). We are usually there for Christmas but due to the lockdown we are 200 miles away. So a big thanks to them. I said to my wife that if she still had the old BG contract, my ma-in-law would still be shivering on New Years day.

So..... it's my New Years resolution to use the smaller, local companies wherever I can in the future. And if that means spending a few more quid than I would normally pay on Amazon, Ebay etc then it's a small price to pay.

And finally, A very Happy Christmas and a better New Year for the guys (and gals ?) who run the Lemon Fool.

Even modern boilers suffer from a pressure drop occasionally. Usually there is a light that turns from blue to red when there's a problem as well as a pressure indicator. Inside the boiler will be a small tap that you turn and will hear water filling the boiler. The warning light will change and the reading will go to 1.4 or whatever it should be (can't remember). Our very old boiler had the opposite problem and we had to take water out to lower the pressure.

We have an excellent plumber. But that's the problem. He's so good that the poor guy is always in demand.

Steve

Return to “Building and DIY”