Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

New Doors and Windows

Does what it says on the tin
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

New Doors and Windows

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 5th, 2020, 5:05 pm

I'd appreciate some advice, the time has come to replace the doors and windows in our house. That's 4 small windows, 9 larger windows and 3 external doors, including front door. The windows will be uPVC and the doors probably composite. Can anyone recommend an installer, such as Anglian? How much can I expect to haggle on price? We had some French windows installed a couple of years ago by Anglian which were well fitted and seem pretty good. The sales chap initially offered me a cheaper price for credit which I didn't want. When I explained the time value of money to him I got the same price for cash. Any hints or tips would be much appreciated.

RC

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: New Doors and Windows

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 5th, 2020, 5:18 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote: When I explained the time value of money to him I got the same price for cash.
RC

A fine haggle indeed. OK, OK, we'll do it for the price, just shut up!

Can't help with your question, but I'm interested in the same question for myself, except I'll need wood rather than upvc (not my choice - it's the rules in a Conservation Area).

tacpot12
2 Lemon pips

Postby tacpot12 » December 5th, 2020, 6:23 pm

You'll get at least 50% of Anglian's initial price, which will be 3 times what a local installer will charge you.

Find a good local installer by word of mouth, and you won't need to haggle.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 5th, 2020, 6:31 pm

A good local installer is cheaper than the big companies and will provide just as good a service.

Ask any tradesman you know if they can recommend anyone. Good tradesmen usually know other good tradesmen in different fields. If not ask friends and family.

Other than that get 3 quotes and trust your instincts.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 5th, 2020, 6:34 pm

If you've got an active local Facebook group ask on there. We saved a fortune taking a recommendation for uPVC doors and windows, got good advice and quality from a local family firm.

Scott.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 5th, 2020, 6:49 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:I'd appreciate some advice, the time has come to replace the doors and windows in our house. That's 4 small windows, 9 larger windows and 3 external doors, including front door. The windows will be uPVC and the doors probably composite. Can anyone recommend an installer, such as Anglian? How much can I expect to haggle on price? We had some French windows installed a couple of years ago by Anglian which were well fitted and seem pretty good. The sales chap initially offered me a cheaper price for credit which I didn't want. When I explained the time value of money to him I got the same price for cash. Any hints or tips would be much appreciated.

RC

Haggling aside as I presume you're versed in the art of negotiation just a minor point to consider, if you already haven't. Ask for Part Q (Building Regulations) windows and doors. Part Q provides a level of security which (iirc) only applies to new homes. It may raise the price but it's a decent place to start when considering security.

AiY

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » December 5th, 2020, 7:29 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Can't help with your question, but I'm interested in the same question for myself, except I'll need wood rather than upvc (not my choice - it's the rules in a Conservation Area).

Not necessarily. I got PP to put these in: https://www.roseview.co.uk/ in a CA , but I was replacing double hung sashes. If your needs are simpler they may be overkill. The wood grain finish is unidentifiable from the street - the only give away is the channel in what would be the weight box.

I went for these over wood as the front of the house is west facing and paint finished wood was a maintenance nightmare. Saying that reminds me - our CA ( and therefore maybe all ) only cared about the front elevation - I could have gone vanilla uPVC to side and rear, but I thought the mix-and-max was naff.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » December 5th, 2020, 8:16 pm

I had windows, two french windows, three doors, fascias and soffits replaced by Anglian nearly 15 years ago.

Excellent service and good advice. I had three quotes and they were a little more expensive than local firms.

I'm so glad we replaced the old wood double glazed windows. Draft proofing and sound insulation were dramatically improved. The quality of the Anglian product is excellent and still looks good. I broke a window recently and the repair was carried out expertly.

I imagine there are local firms whose quality is as good, but I would thoroughly recommend Anglian.

regards

Howard

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » December 5th, 2020, 8:33 pm

You only have to look at the online prices for windows and doors to realise how much the larger providers charge. I would find a small local company to supply and fit the materials you require.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 6th, 2020, 12:35 am

genou wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

Not necessarily. I got PP to put these in: https://www.roseview.co.uk/ in a CA , but I was replacing double hung sashes. If your needs are simpler they may be overkill. The wood grain finish is unidentifiable from the street - the only give away is the channel in what would be the weight box.

Interesting. The guidance (as I understand it) is that so long as I'm not changing the materials, I don't need planning permission, but if I want to replace wood with something else - say, aluminium or upvc - then I do, and I'm up against whatever nonsense they may inflict on me. My thought was to take the easy solution there.

The front of the house faces directly onto the street, so the windows there are very conspicuous if I do anything I shouldn't. The most critical replacement there is the kitchen window: it looks like a sash but opens outwards, and I want to replace that with a genuine sash I can then open an inch or two but lock against opening wide enough to let even an agile malefactor in. The big job at the back is the patio door to the balcony, which is quite hard to see from any public place.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 6th, 2020, 6:35 am

One thing to note about replacing lovely old wooden sash windows with new, is you lose the old turn-of-the-century glass which gives them that 'old' look.

New window glass is 'float glass' and machine flat, and has none of the charming minor ripples that 100 year-old glass has, which ever so slightly distort the view out through an old window. Nice as the Roseview product range looks, they do not appear to mention matching up the old glass.

If you have new windows with new glass, the view out through them loses the 'personality' of the old glass you previously had. I found this effect quite disappointing when we had two sash window bays done in the front of our last-but-one (1890) house in a CA. I renovated all the other wooden sash windows in the house myself (instead of replacing them) in order to hang on to the lovely slightly ripply Victorian glass.

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Postby Hypster » December 6th, 2020, 9:00 am

We had Everest in for a quote years ago. They quoted a price then said if we took out a finance package they would knock 50% off.

We then called in a local firm, and their price was half that of Everest's deal.

Return to “Building and DIY”