Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Remove spot light bulb

Does what it says on the tin
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Remove spot light bulb

Postby terminal7 » December 2nd, 2020, 4:56 pm

I have a (dead) dichroic halogen lamp that is fitted in such a way into the ceiling that I cannot get purchase on it to extract. Any ideas how to extract?

T7

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Remove spot light bulb

Postby Itsallaguess » December 2nd, 2020, 5:04 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
terminal7 wrote:
I have a (dead) dichroic halogen lamp that is fitted in such a way into the ceiling that I cannot get purchase on it to extract. Any ideas how to extract?

For GU10 halogen bulbs you may need to use a small suction cup designed for the purpose.

I have no idea where to get one from now.

Screwfix sell the suction tools for about three quid, and the user-reviews are very favourable -

Image from Screwfix product page - https://www.screwfix.com/p/wolfcraft-wfc-5499000-gu10-lamp-removal-tool/6084k

Also available for free delivery via Ebay, but slightly more expensive - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Halogen-Bulb-Remover-Holder-Removal-Suction-Tool-GU10-MR16/124420804246

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » December 2nd, 2020, 5:30 pm

There are plenty on eBay, for example, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GU10-MR16-12 ... SwoqFd5qzC ; I searched for "gu lamp remover sucker".

"Dichroic" refers to the reflector and only applies to halogen lamps, not LEDs or CFLs. A dichroic reflector reflects visible light forwards but lets infra-red (heat) through the back. A silvered reflector, on the other hand, reflects everything including heat. This is important to know if you are fitting new halogen lamps as some fittings can be damaged by the heat from a dichroic lamp. This is, obviously, not so much of an issue now that LEDs are replacing most halogens.

It is easy to tell dichroic lamps and silvered lamps apart if you hold them up to the light. Dichroic reflectors let a small amount of pinkish light through whereas silvered reflectors are completely opaque.

Julian F. G. W.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 2nd, 2020, 10:11 pm

I take it you've tried the obvious things: poking at it and wearing it down around the rim with something thin/sharp, and perhaps oil? I've replaced a lot of spot bulbs since moving here, some of them recalcitrant due to build up of minor corrosion and the like. In one or two cases that had got gunged up, it took several attacks before I dislodged a bulb. And those tended to be the dead bulbs.

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » December 3rd, 2020, 10:04 am

Have you tried wearing rubber gloves to give a bit more friction on the glass? The washing-up ones, not the ppe ones.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » December 4th, 2020, 10:01 am

The suction tool worked brilliantly - unfortunately it just took the glass cover off leaving the rest of the bulb in the recess - grrrr

T7

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 4th, 2020, 10:19 am

terminal7 wrote:The suction tool worked brilliantly - unfortunately it just took the glass cover off leaving the rest of the bulb in the recess - grrrr

So you're just down to the reflector? Nothing for it now, I suspect, but the needle nosed pliers. Grip it at the edges and distort/destroy it.

I am assuming that you've turned the power off? :D

[Edit] Nother stupid question - you're sure this is a G10? And not just one with two stabby pins that push straight in and pull straight out?

BJ

midgesgalore
Lemon Slice

Postby midgesgalore » December 8th, 2020, 11:59 pm

I use a big piece bit of blue-tac to remove the GU10 lamps from their housing. I keep the blue-tac in a plastic bag in a handy drawer where the bag keeps the sticky stuff clean and viable and has done for the last 15 years. When I need to use this life hack I heat it in my hand (still in the bag) for a few minutes so it shapes and sticks well to the lamps.
There is enough friction to rotate the lamp and extract (and vice - versa). I never have any problems any more but I did have, before my blue-tac trick, where the sharp glass used to slice into my fingers. :roll:

midgesgalore

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » December 9th, 2020, 11:50 am

I think the key thing with removing GU10 bulbs is to apply sufficient pressure to release the contacts from the holder as you rotate the bulb.

The bulb holder pushes the bulb outwards, against the bulb contacts, so if you don't push in, you end up with the base of the bulb being anchored by friction (aided by springs) to the light fitting. When this happens if the force require to overcome friction is greater than the strength of the bond between the front face and the reflector/body failing, you end up with the front face in your hand, and the remainder of the bulb left where it was.

PochiSoldi

Return to “Building and DIY”