Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Best White Gloss

Does what it says on the tin
Andy46
2 Lemon pips

Best White Gloss

Postby Andy46 » August 8th, 2021, 7:40 pm

Hi,

Any recommendations for the best white gloss to use please?

I've always used the old oil based stuff, more recently i tried the water based stuff but i feel they both have upsides and downsides. The water based stuff stays white and its easier to clean from brushes, but it took 4 coats, dried so quick it was hard to get a nice finish and i feel it peels off easier if you knock it. Given that its way more expensive than oil based gloss I don't think either has a clear advantage over the other. Has anyone used Enamel or Acryllic etc paint to do skirting boards etc?

Thanks

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Best White Gloss

Postby 88V8 » August 8th, 2021, 8:09 pm

Indoors I always use oil. As we have a 'period' house I tend to minimise the gloss and just use it on window boards, and skirtings, elsewhere eggshell or satin.
But the best oil ..... and it's pointless imho using anything but the best considering the time it take to decorate properly.... I use Sikkens AZ Rubbol.

Outdoors, Bedec MSP waterbase. First coat thinned if on bare wood. For a water base, Bedec is not bad to apply, although it doesn't have the smooth flow of an oil. Hopefully though, better duration. Wash the brush regularly while painting, maybe every 30 mins or so, or it gets claggy.

Indoors or out, preparation is of course always essential, at least sugar soap, plus a light rub down between coats.

V8

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » August 8th, 2021, 9:09 pm

The paint manufacturers policy to reduce the quantity of spirit in oil based paint and replace it with an increase in linseed oil is what has resulted in faster yellowing. I find water based paints just don't do it for me, I still prefer oil based but I mainly use satin instead of gloss, I use Dulux.

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Sobraon » August 9th, 2021, 1:42 am

Another traditional Dulux satin for wood fan here. I have never been able to get on with water based paints so tend to avoid them. I repaint exterior wood every four years and two years ago I used some water based Zinsser Allcoat white satin (Toolsation) on wooden garage doors and the finish seems to be holding up well and possibly/maybe better than the Dulux - we will see.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 9th, 2021, 8:29 am

Given the small windows in the new place and the old stuff yellowing quickly, I have finally and reluctantly succombed to water based wood paints. Bearing in mind I was pretty OCD with woodwork, fill, rub, prime, rub, 2 or 3 primers, rub in between, then oce perfectly smooth a single coat of Dulux Forrest Gump Gloss[1].

The water based aren't glossy, so I've accepted this and gone with the silk finish, applying with a 4 inch roller where possible to avoid brush marks.

I found it irritated me immensely for about 3 weeks, and then I stoppped looking so closely ar the finish and now it is just white.

Paul

[1] Dulux Professional Gloss, a slightly blue one that earnt the nickname as it appears to be quite thick, but runs like hell.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 9th, 2021, 10:56 am

White.
Why white.
There are umpteen colours.
What is this obsession with white? Do you all live in hospitals? :)

V8

wanderer
2 Lemon pips

Postby wanderer » August 9th, 2021, 12:45 pm

Maybe not what you're after but I did a lot of glossing over lockdown on shelving and Louvre style doors. I did one room in gloss but then did the next one with Leyland Acrylic Undercoat and then Leyland Hard-wearing Acrylic Eggshell. The latter offered a superb finish and required far fewer coats than gloss and would certainly be my go-to choice next time. Obviously, eggshell will not offer the same "reflectivity" as gloss, but I think it still looks great, runs/drips far less and dries easily.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 10th, 2021, 1:22 pm

88V8 wrote:White.
Why white.
There are umpteen colours.
What is this obsession with white? Do you all live in hospitals? :)

V8

I might have to visit one if I didn't paint the woddwork white :)

Andy46
2 Lemon pips

Postby Andy46 » August 30th, 2021, 9:23 pm

Has anyone ever used exterior paint internally? after my poor experience with water based gloss I've then gone on to do some exterior painting with Sandtex paint which was lovely stuff. Any issue with doing my skirting in this? I quick google suggests high VOC's may cause respitory problems but the Dulux Satinwood also says it has high VOC's so whats the problem?

Return to “Building and DIY”