Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Pressurised Hot Water

Does what it says on the tin
genou
Lemon Quarter

Pressurised Hot Water

Postby genou » August 27th, 2021, 6:02 pm

My existing way of getting hot water to the top of the house has failed ( dead pressure vessel on a pumped system ). I'm thinking PHW is the way to go now, and we would get the benefit of it elsewhere in the house. But I immediately bumped into ads for this - https://www.mixergy.co.uk/

I can't see much prospect of solar heating - I have a small amount of east facing roof, but the larger west facing area is unusable as the house is in a conservation area, and no on roof installation will be allowed facing the street.

Does anyone have experience of running one of these tanks on a gas boiler ? Is there a meaningful level of savings / control to raise it above a "dumb" tank ?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Pressurised Hot Water

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 27th, 2021, 8:55 pm

genou wrote:I can't see much prospect of solar heating - I have a small amount of east facing roof, but the larger west facing area is unusable as the house is in a conservation area, and no on roof installation will be allowed facing the street.

Have you verified that your conservation area forbids them, or is that just an assumption?

Where I used to live before 2013 was a conservation area with roofs facing just a little east of south, and a neighbour put up solar panels - with the relevant permissions. Mind you, those weren't visible from the road (unless perhaps you were to climb a telegraph pole) on account of the angle of the roofs.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » August 27th, 2021, 9:51 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Have you verified that your conservation area forbids them, or is that just an assumption?

I'm sure. Planning permission for double glazing, and that was an argument.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 27th, 2021, 11:25 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
genou wrote:I can't see much prospect of solar heating - I have a small amount of east facing roof, but the larger west facing area is unusable as the house is in a conservation area, and no on roof installation will be allowed facing the street.

Where I used to live before 2013 was a conservation area with roofs facing just a little east of south, and a neighbour put up solar panels - with the relevant permissions. Mind you, those weren't visible from the road (unless perhaps you were to climb a telegraph pole) on account of the angle of the roofs.

Our house was in a national park, so not quite the same as a conservation area, but the rule was as you say. Basically if you can't see it from the road then it's OK, otherwise not. So we installed it on the rear, west-facing wall just below the roofline.

Of course, if it can't be seen from the road then you are never going to get caught doing it without planning or building consent anyway. :D

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 27th, 2021, 11:30 pm

Lootman wrote:Of course, if it can't be seen from the road then you are never going to get caught doing it without planning or building consent anyway. :D

Just so long as you never try to sell the house, and a buyer's solicitor checks that kind of thing.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 27th, 2021, 11:37 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Lootman wrote:Of course, if it can't be seen from the road then you are never going to get caught doing it without planning or building consent anyway. :D

Just so long as you never try to sell the house, and a buyer's solicitor checks that kind of thing.

But do they? You would think so but generally old works tend to be grandfathered in, meaning that existing work is allowed to continue even if the same work would not be allowed today. The most obvious example of that is electrical work, the code for which is constantly evolving. But no building inspectors we had round ever seemed to care that we had obviously old wiring that wasn't to current code.

So sure, if you build an extension without permits then you may be told to get it retrospectively permitted, or even you have to undo the work. But an external water tank discreetly located that is no safety issue? I cannot see it myself.

I guess a picky buyer could ask for a discount for any code violations that are detected. But in Devon and Cornwall right now, it is such a seller's market that I doubt that many would dare, for fear of losing the purchase to someone less picky.

Return to “Building and DIY”