Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown, for Donating to support the site

Air Compressors

Does what it says on the tin
TeeJayCee

Air Compressors

Postby TeeJayCee » November 10th, 2016, 5:57 am

I saw this https://www.aldi.co.uk/air-multi-tool/p ... ct-reviews in Aldi a few weeks ago.

The tool would be ideal but Air Compressors seem very expensive.

Are Air Compressors that popular that most people buying tools in Aldi already have one?

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Re: Air Compressors

Postby Wizard » November 10th, 2016, 10:27 am

TeeJayCee wrote:I saw this https://www.aldi.co.uk/air-multi-tool/p ... ct-reviews in Aldi a few weeks ago.

The tool would be ideal but Air Compressors seem very expensive.

Are Air Compressors that popular that most people buying tools in Aldi already have one?

Don't know about more generally but I do a bit of hobby furniture making and I would say 75% of hobby wood workers have one. Main uses are nailers, spraying finish and just using it to blow dust off work / surfaces.

Terry.

PS Aldi sometimes have compressors for sale as well, usually at the time they are doing the tools, but not in large numbers. From what I have heard they are not the best compressors but represent reasonable value for money.

TeeJayCee

Postby TeeJayCee » November 10th, 2016, 10:36 am

Thanks for your reply.

I was in Aldi this morning and they had compressors reduced from £80 to £60.

Similar Electric Mutli Tools to the one I posted cost about £60 so I need to think about it.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 10th, 2016, 1:04 pm

I have a compressor and for use with a nail gun it is invaluable. I also use it for pumping up bike tyres, much easier than the hand pump.

John

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » November 10th, 2016, 1:06 pm

+1 for Aldi. Just as good IMHO as the likes of Clark's cheaper end. Like most of these small compressors it can't provide much air at high pressure for long but OK for casual use.

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » November 10th, 2016, 10:04 pm

I suspect so, but everytime they have the tools they will also flog a few compressors thus adding to their potential sales base for future tools.

Both Aldi and Lidl regularly have compressors and airtools for sale, they both seem to operate the same sales and stocking model whereupon each store gets a limited batch of compressors and tools in and when they're gone they're gone. About 3-6 months later they repeat. I've bought a few things, I have a fairly basic Clarke compressor and wether tools are useful is a bit hit or miss. The air flow values listed on compressors and tools often seem to bear little relation to how usable the tool is in practice, I think they are usually pretty optimistic. The impact wrench I bought from Aldi is pretty useless for moderately tight bolts at all settings even when the compressor is fully charged, despite appearing to be well within the machine's air output range. on the otherhand the air chisel works reasonably well and I bought a needle scaler attachment for it online to use for de-rusting things such as the garden gates etc. Then a month later Lidl were selling an air chisel with needle scaler included for much less than the combined price I payed, ho hum!

I saw the aldi multitool a few weeks back and was tempted for a few seconds as the prices are always cheap, but I already have an electric one which works great and is really useful. I couldn't see what benefit an air powered one would provide especially when weighing up the risk that it would potentially be underpowered on my compressor. Furthermore it has come in most useful for doing jobs around the house rather than in the garage or garden where the compressor is normally used, the hassle and noise factor of using the compressor in the house (unless you have a really long airhose) doesn't stack up (well not when Mrs BH is around)

If you like the idea of the tool then just buy an electric one, they are as I say really useful I doubt you'd regret it. Mine is a Homebase cheapo brand one that I picked up during a sale for <£30, but some of the good brand ones are easily twice that and more, having bought one I'd say they are potentially worth it

BH

TeeJayCee

Postby TeeJayCee » November 11th, 2016, 8:18 am

Many thanks for the further information.

It's interesting to see that both Lidl and Aldi both sell Compressors and tools at various times of the year. I read somewhere that they are totally different German companies but are both owned by brothers from the same family. Perhaps, in this case, they use the same suppliers.

I cannot justify buying a compressor so I will look out for a cheaper electric multi tool though I doubt if I will get one for less than £30!

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » November 11th, 2016, 2:28 pm

TeeJayCee wrote:Many thanks for the further information.

It's interesting to see that both Lidl and Aldi both sell Compressors and tools at various times of the year. I read somewhere that they are totally different German companies but are both owned by brothers from the same family. Perhaps, in this case, they use the same suppliers.

I cannot justify buying a compressor so I will look out for a cheaper electric multi tool though I doubt if I will get one for less than £30!

Pretty sure I have seen one or both of Aldi / Lidl sell an electric multi tool in the past. I think you can subscribe to get an email each week with their offers.

This week Lidl had the legendary chisels and the very good Japanese saws they sell periodically. Got loads of the former, but picked up a couple more of the later. Once Lidl have had some tools on sale in the past Aldi have always had some within a week or two, so there maybe another round of kit at Aldi very soon.

Terry.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 11th, 2016, 5:05 pm

This week Lidl had the legendary chisels

What is special about the chisels? Are we talking wood chisels?

John

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » November 12th, 2016, 10:18 am

redsturgeon wrote:
This week Lidl had the legendary chisels

What is special about the chisels? Are we talking wood chisels?

John

Wood chisels yes. Generally regarded to be a stonking bargain at £7 for set of 4. When sharpened properly of course. If you are interested there is a video on sharpening Aldi chisels (same as the lidle ones) by a highly regarded British woodworker called Paul Sellers.

Terry.

Quackfest

Postby Quackfest » November 12th, 2016, 6:41 pm

A compressor is very useful if you have the space. I use mine mostly for blowing up paddling pools, inflating bike and car tyres. I would definitely replace mine if it breaks down. Also useful for blasting off dust and dirt from hard to reach corners, eg. Cleaning a computer keyboard and murky corners of a dusty workshop.
Funny though, I dont use any air tools like the one shown.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 13th, 2016, 10:38 am

Also useful for blasting off dust and dirt from hard to reach corners, eg. Cleaning a computer keyboard

I was taught this is a no-no since you can get a spray of either water or oil as an aerosol from compressors.

John

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Multi tool

Postby GrahamPlatt » November 14th, 2016, 12:08 pm

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Re: Multi tool

Postby Wizard » November 14th, 2016, 9:31 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:http://fr.aldi.be/aldi_outil_multifonctionnel_sans_fil_48_5_2244_25304.html

I know for a fact NI is about two weeks ahead of UK on cycle of Aldi 'specials', maybe France is similar or even further ahead. So keep an eye out.

Terry.

Fatrav
Lemon Pip

Postby Fatrav » November 14th, 2016, 11:21 pm

Have to agree, renovating a house at the mo, the multi purpose tool is indispensable.
If you do any diy get one its a great piece of kit

TeeJayCee

Postby TeeJayCee » November 15th, 2016, 5:57 am

For anyone whose French is as bad as mine the Collins Free Online Translation comes up with this....

'multifunctional wireless for sanding, grinding, sawing, planing, tool etc., battery Li - ion 12V (2000 mAh), with additional handle, built-in Worklight, rapid charger (1 h of loading), with 25 accessories set, plunge saw blade, segmented saw blade and diamond, scraper, wheel and disc saw blade grinder (20 pcs) incl., in a storage box'

I bet the price in Sterling will be nearer to the Euro price quoted but it looks like a bargain considering it is rechargeable. Will it be powerful enough?

It does not look as though they have done it in the UK before if this is anything to go by https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/all- ... nal&page=0

Anyway I will keep a lookout for it because it looks as though it's worth waiting for.

Return to “Building and DIY”