Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The power of branding....

Does what it says on the tin
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

The power of branding....

Postby DrFfybes » June 16th, 2022, 6:22 pm

We have several hoses we want to daisy chain together, so need a double male hoselock style connector.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hozelock-dou ... ctor/74767 branded plastic one, £5.49
https://www.toolstation.com/brass-quick ... ner/p71518 unbranded brass one for under a quid.

Wilko are £1.25 for a plastic unbranded one, but none in the shop :(

I'm pretty sure they're the same thing.

Paul

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: The power of branding....

Postby bungeejumper » June 17th, 2022, 3:17 pm

We've pretty well given up buying Hozelock products - not so much because of the high cost, but because because the overall manufacturing standard is so poor. Hozelock stop connectors either jam so that they leak, or else the plastic goes brittle after a couple of years of daylight so that you can't un-connect them when you want to. Two expensive 'pistol' sprayer guns have had to be chucked because both their handles snapped off. A battery powered irrigation timer could never be dissuaded from leaking internally. And the list goes on.

The hell of it is that Hozelock seems to be the only brand on sale in many garden centres - it looks like a stitch-up, perish the thought. Would I be surprised if retailers were getting cashbacks for being Hozelock-only? Naah, it couldn't possibly happen. 8-)

The no-name green and black connectors are the ones we buy these days. And we buy the rubber O-ring washers from Ebay in packs of thirty. Eight washers in a Hozelock packet for seven quid? Pull the other one, it's got bells on. :lol:

BJ

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: The power of branding....

Postby DrFfybes » June 17th, 2022, 3:48 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
The no-name green and black connectors are the ones we buy these days. And we buy the rubber O-ring washers from Ebay in packs of thirty. Eight washers in a Hozelock packet for seven quid? Pull the other one, it's got bells on. :lol:

I also have a bag of o-rings from Ebay, and a bag for the pressure washer.which don't fit the ressure washer, but the Hozelock compatible ones do.

I bought the brass one from toolstation, and a cheapo green and black one from Charlies bargain store.

The brass spigots are a tighter fit in the plastic female connectors, they do need a firm push to latch properly, so I can see why some people have problems. I already knew this as we have a 'magic' self unravelling hose with brass fittings and I have mixed them with other brands.

Paul

Return to “Building and DIY”