Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

G9 LED bulbs with directional light?

Does what it says on the tin
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

G9 LED bulbs with directional light?

Postby Clariman » September 7th, 2022, 10:54 am

We've just replaced some pendant light fittings that had built-in LEDs that failed. The new lights have replaceable G9 fitting LED bulbs but they don't seem to have much downward directional light. Are there any LED G9 bulbs that shine down rather than out to the side?

What makes it worse is that the lights are chrome effect glass which look great when switched off. However, when you switch them on, the bulbs shine through the side and you can see the individual LED elements on the bulb.

Thanks
C

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: G9 LED bulbs with directional light?

Postby Dod101 » September 7th, 2022, 11:02 am

What you are looking for is a smaller beam angle which is certainly possible with G10s and I would imagine with G9s as well, although as I have never used them I would not know. If you get a more directed downward light you will probably not notice the other effect because the light will be more like a torchlight and less diffused.

Best to find a decent supplier with a good website. There is such a huge variety you will almost certainly find what you want. I have used Lightbulbs Direct but there are plenty others.

Dod

Grumpsimus
2 Lemon pips

Postby Grumpsimus » September 7th, 2022, 12:31 pm

Both Philips and Osram used to make the type of G9 Led you are looking for, have a couple of examples here. However, they don't seem to be readily availiable now. The original G9 Halogen bulbs were always omni-directional and almost all G9 Leds try to copy this. If you are unable to find a directional G9 Led, you might find those with a more diffused light more acceptable.

I suspect that you may have got the wrong type of light fiting, one that is intended to be more decorative, rather than a good light source.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 7th, 2022, 1:23 pm

Grumpsimus wrote:Both Philips and Osram used to make the type of G9 Led you are looking for, have a couple of examples here. However, they don't seem to be readily availiable now. The original G9 Halogen bulbs were always omni-directional and almost all G9 Leds try to copy this. If you are unable to find a directional G9 Led, you might find those with a more diffused light more acceptable.

I suspect that you may have got the wrong type of light fiting, one that is intended to be more decorative, rather than a good light source.

I read the op that the main problem was diffused light from the bulbs.

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 7th, 2022, 1:29 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Grumpsimus wrote:Both Philips and Osram used to make the type of G9 Led you are looking for, have a couple of examples here. However, they don't seem to be readily availiable now. The original G9 Halogen bulbs were always omni-directional and almost all G9 Leds try to copy this. If you are unable to find a directional G9 Led, you might find those with a more diffused light more acceptable.

I read the op that the main problem was diffused light from the bulbs.

Dod

If a slightly directional bulb is fitted in a reflective/focused mounting, that expects an omnidirectional globe, the results can be sub-optimal
This used to be quite a common problem with early led globes where the output might have measured "equivalent" to an incandescent but it went in different directions

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 7th, 2022, 1:50 pm

Thanks

Is this the kind of bulb you were referring to? https://www.thelightingcentre.co.uk/cap ... 230lm.html

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » September 7th, 2022, 2:28 pm

Hmmm. I can only find G9 LED bulbs with a beam angle of 300 to 320 degrees which seems the exact opposite of what's requested. Does what's requested exist?

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 7th, 2022, 2:31 pm

After lots of searching I've decided to take a punt on these. £9.99 for 3 so no great loss if they aren't any good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B097RQKWG9/

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » September 7th, 2022, 2:33 pm

Clariman wrote:After lots of searching I've decided to take a punt on these. £9.99 for 3 so no great loss if they aren't any good.

210 degrees beam angle. Narrower than I managed to find. Hope they work for you!

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » September 7th, 2022, 4:15 pm

The problem may be the size of the light source rather than the beam angle. Optics designed for a small light source will not work the same with a larger, more diffuse, source. The filament of an incandescent is quite compact and the LEDs will be larger, particularly when there are multiple LEDs in the same bulb.

You might try looking for G9 bulbs with fewer LED die. Possibly including lower power bulbs if you can live with that. This could involve a lot of trial and error. It may be cheaper to replace the light fixture with one designed round built in LEDs.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 7th, 2022, 4:26 pm

9873210 wrote:You might try looking for G9 bulbs with fewer LED die. Possibly including lower power bulbs if you can live with that. This could involve a lot of trial and error. It may be cheaper to replace the light fixture with one designed round built in LEDs.

Thanks. We had really nice lights with inbuilt LEDs which were perfect - 3 individual ones above a dining area. They went one by one. Luckily I'd bought a couple of spares, but 5 years later all have failed and they are no longer sold, so we had to replace them. There are in-built LED ones on the market but they are stupidly expensive and I'm not paying £200 x 3 (for example) only to have one fail a few years down the line, so they become useless.

Such a shame that the old ones are no longer sold.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 7th, 2022, 4:54 pm

Clariman wrote:
9873210 wrote:You might try looking for G9 bulbs with fewer LED die. Possibly including lower power bulbs if you can live with that. This could involve a lot of trial and error. It may be cheaper to replace the light fixture with one designed round built in LEDs.

Thanks. We had really nice lights with inbuilt LEDs which were perfect - 3 individual ones above a dining area. They went one by one. Luckily I'd bought a couple of spares, but 5 years later all have failed and they are no longer sold, so we had to replace them. There are in-built LED ones on the market but they are stupidly expensive and I'm not paying £200 x 3 (for example) only to have one fail a few years down the line, so they become useless.

Such a shame that the old ones are no longer sold.

I am being offered in built or non replaceable LED fittings for under my kitchen cupboards. I am reluctant to install them because in my limited experience, LED lights do not last all that long, although much longer than the current halogen ones. I would prefer though to have replaceable LED lights so that I can keep the fittings but under the cupboards, the fittings need to be quite shallow.

Dod

Grumpsimus
2 Lemon pips

Postby Grumpsimus » September 8th, 2022, 3:05 pm

Clariman wrote:After lots of searching I've decided to take a punt on these. £9.99 for 3 so no great loss if they aren't any good.

Clariman, I think that style is the best you can hope for in G9 Leds, as I indicated before G9s were never really intended to be directional.

Grumpsimus
2 Lemon pips

Postby Grumpsimus » September 8th, 2022, 3:19 pm

Dod101 wrote:
I am being offered in built or non replaceable LED fittings for under my kitchen cupboards. I am reluctant to install them because in my limited experience, LED lights do not last all that long, although much longer than the current halogen ones. I would prefer though to have replaceable LED lights so that I can keep the fittings but under the cupboards, the fittings need to be quite shallow.

Dod

Dod, I think you are going to find it very difficult to find under cupboard lights with replaceable Leds. You have identified the problem, the fittings have to be very shallow.

I have slim(5mm) square Led fittings under the kitchen cupboards, with the power supply on top of the cupboards. The originals lasted about 5/6 years, being on all day. When one began to fail I decided to replace them all. This was very simple - unplug and unscrew the old fittings and plug in and screw on the new fittings. Really a very simple job.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 8th, 2022, 4:33 pm

Grumpsimus wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Dod, I think you are going to find it very difficult to find under cupboard lights with replaceable Leds. You have identified the problem, the fittings have to be very shallow.

I have slim(5mm) square Led fittings under the kitchen cupboards, with the power supply on top of the cupboards. The originals lasted about 5/6 years, being on all day. When one began to fail I decided to replace them all. This was very simple - unplug and unscrew the old fittings and plug in and screw on the new fittings. Really a very simple job.

Thanks. That is very helpful. My existing power supply is on top of the cupboards via transformers to bring the voltage down to 12 volts. Are typical LEDs likely to be at mains voltage so that I need to remove the transformers?

Dod

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » September 8th, 2022, 5:16 pm

Dod101 wrote:Thanks. That is very helpful. My existing power supply is on top of the cupboards via transformers to bring the voltage down to 12 volts. Are typical LEDs likely to be at mains voltage so that I need to remove the transformers?

Dod

It's convenient to run under cabinet lights off of 12V rather than mains. It lets you take liberties with wiring in a potentially wet area.

For under cabinet lights I use the LED tapes, these fit behind the rim of the cabinet and don't need a fixture. You can use a C-channel with a plastic diffuser if you want, for cleanliness or because you have expensive cabinets without a lip at the bottom. You should be able to replace the LED tape if needed. Tapes will usually run off of low voltage such as 12V so they don't have to double insulate the wires and connections.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » September 8th, 2022, 5:47 pm

Dod101 wrote:Are typical LEDs likely to be at mains voltage so that I need to remove the transformers?
Some fittings are mains (with an integral driver), some are extra-low voltage, like your existing ones. Both are typical.

Chris

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 8th, 2022, 8:15 pm

Thanks for these responses. I now have more idea what I am talking about/looking for.

Dod

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 8th, 2022, 11:20 pm

The differently shaped G9 LEDs arrived today and they provide nowhere near adequate downlight. So I have concluded that individual LEDs are not suited for pendant lights.

So we have downlighters that look the part when they are switched off buy not much practical use. Hey ho.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 9th, 2022, 6:21 am

Clariman wrote:The differently shaped G9 LEDs arrived today and they provide nowhere near adequate downlight. So I have concluded that individual LEDs are not suited for pendant lights.

So we have downlighters that look the part when they are switched off buy not much practical use. Hey ho.

I havejkust looked for G9s and realise that I was shown them for my under cupboard lighting for my kitchen. They are just little capsules. I'd agree that they would not be much use for general lighting where the G10s are usually sold. It is not that 'individual LEDs' are not suitable for pendant lights, or general downlighting but that G9s are not. Surprised that they are even offered.

Dod

Return to “Building and DIY”