Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

oven safety switch

Does what it says on the tin
orchard101
Lemon Pip

oven safety switch

Postby orchard101 » March 1st, 2017, 3:49 pm

I live on my own and am not exactly young or in the best of health. The only thing that worries me is if something happens to me, collapse or die, whilst the oven or hob is on.

I have googled but the only thing I have found costs £300 plus qualified engineer costs for fitting.

What would be ideal is a sort of mechanical gadget with a timer which will 'knock off' the main switch to the cooker, which I could set with each use. I can see a vision in my mind but not anywhere in cyberspace ;)

Is anyone able to help?

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Re: oven safety switch

Postby pochisoldi » March 1st, 2017, 5:23 pm

Get an oven with a programmer built in - the type that "busy executives use" where you can program the oven to come on so your meal is ready when you get home from work.

Then whenever you use the oven, program it to come on straight away for X+1 hours (where X is how long you expect to use the oven for).
If something does happen, the oven will turn off automatically. If something doesn't happen, you manually turn it off.

This won't work for the grill mind.

PochiSoldi

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 1st, 2017, 6:02 pm

orchard101 wrote:I live on my own and am not exactly young or in the best of health. The only thing that worries me is if something happens to me, collapse or die, whilst the oven or hob is on.

I have googled but the only thing I have found costs £300 plus qualified engineer costs for fitting.

What would be ideal is a sort of mechanical gadget with a timer which will 'knock off' the main switch to the cooker, which I could set with each use. I can see a vision in my mind but not anywhere in cyberspace ;)

Is anyone able to help?
Well by replacing the cooker isolation switch with a small consumer unit containing an isolation switch and the following three DIN-rail mountable components you, or your electrician, could wire it up to give you a pre-settable period of power to the oven/hob.

63A Contactor (£138.43)
0.1s-10d Timer(£45.06)
Pushbutton(£18.67)

Regards,
Chris
PS I've readily found Schneider switchgear but others are I'm sure available.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » March 1st, 2017, 6:16 pm

orchard101 wrote:What would be ideal is a sort of mechanical gadget with a timer which will 'knock off' the main switch to the cooker, which I could set with each use. I can see a vision in my mind but not anywhere in cyberspace ;)

The cartoon creations of William Heath Robinson come to mind!

It would need to very reliably operate the switch too. Avoid drilling through the cable when you screw it to the wall.

It would be easy for any competent electrician to rig something up along the lines of Chris's suggestion.

If looks are no object but money is, one cheap but ugly device (but one that would need installing) is a coin meter. eBay have them for a reasonable price. If you wait for the new £1 coin to come out, you may be able to get an even bigger bargain - just keep some old pounds by you for your meter. You can set the price per unit to something suitable and just feed the same coins in each time. You may be able to leave the coin box off altogether to make things easy. Just give yourself enough "credit" for the current cooking operation.

Julian F. G. W.

Return to “Building and DIY”