Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Loft extension cost - the reality

Does what it says on the tin
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Loft extension cost - the reality

Postby PinkDalek » July 9th, 2018, 5:18 pm

bruncher wrote:Hi dspp

I do not find a need to do anything other than crack the trickle vents on the veluxes

Are the vents waterproof? I've always been nervous about leaving them open when I'm out.

We leave our trickle vents open year round and only a bit of dust comes through every so often. I think the way they are constructed stops the rain getting in, unless in extreme circumstances, which we’ve yet to suffer after 20 years or so.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » July 9th, 2018, 10:19 pm

bruncher wrote:Hi dspp

I do not find a need to do anything other than crack the trickle vents on the veluxes

Are the vents waterproof? I've always been nervous about leaving them open when I'm out.

There are two positions on the vents. so you end up with four positions in total:
1. Fully closed
2. Vent one stop
3. Vent two stops
4. Swinging open

My observation is that in heavy rain position 3 will weep in at a low rate. But in position 2 the seal is sufficiently energised that weeping/dripping does not occur.

If you go with the remote/motorised version (which is an add-on kit that can be retrofitted) then the controls will automatically drive fully shut to position 1 on sensing rain.

I have about a 45 deg pitch on the loft, and a 12 deg pitch on the kitchen. If it was a steeper pitch then position 3 might also be leakproof as it would shed fast enough.

regards, dspp

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » July 10th, 2018, 4:17 pm

I phoned Velux. The guy I spoke with was not willing to affirm that vents could be left open during rain. I pressed him and he just made general remarks like "it would probably be safer not to leave the vents open". Perhaps on a different day, another adviser would have a different opinion.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » July 10th, 2018, 4:43 pm

Bruncher,
It is down to the way the latch engages and pulls up against the seals. Each detente energises the seals a particular amount. If rain gets in it drips through the seal, not through the vent.
regards,
dspp

Return to “Building and DIY”