Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

FENSA (Double Glazing)

Does what it says on the tin
WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

FENSA (Double Glazing)

Postby WrenChasen » February 27th, 2023, 5:14 pm

I need to replace the UPVC windows in my house and have obtained quotes from three local businesses so far. Two are registered with FENSA; the third is a well-established and seemingly trusted company who isn't registered with them. Can anyone advise if there is any benefit to, or protection of, the customer if a company has FENSA membership?

Also, the two lowest quotes I have are in the region of £3,500 including VAT to replace a five-panel bay window and two casement windows using Rehau extrusions (I'm doing the job in stages). Can anyone advise, please, if this sounds reasonable?

Another question (sorry), one of the FENSA companies doesn't take credit or debit cards, bank transfer or cheque only. Should this be a red flag?

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: FENSA (Double Glazing)

Postby DrFfybes » February 27th, 2023, 6:14 pm

You will need some sort of sign off when you sell the house, either a building regs cert or a FENSA cert (or an insurance policy against any issues - costs about £20). We got some windows done the other week, FENSA cert arrived in the post today.

Prices vary massively between types and area - for a bay I'm assuming you need some load bearing frames which cost more than standard. Rehau are AFAIK simply one of the several companies that make the plastic frames that your supplier will cut to size and assemble for your job. I don't know if they are anything special. Window height affects whether toughened glass is required, Georgian bars cost more, openers cost more, so really without complete details it is impossible to comment on the quotes.

Most installers/builders/architects don't take cards, I'd not expect a window firm to unless they have a retail trade counter. Personally I'd avoid one that takes cards as I suspect they'll sub out the installing to whoever thay can get cheapest. Is the one that takes the cards also the non FENSA one?

Paul

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Re: FENSA (Double Glazing)

Postby WrenChasen » February 27th, 2023, 8:21 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Is the one that takes the cards also the non FENSA one?

The one that doesn't take cards is one of the FENSA members. TBH, I like to pay for large purchases by card because of the protection (via chargeback or Section 75) they can offer in certain circumstances if things go pear-shaped.

I'm going for Rehau because the windows I'm replacing are also Rehau and they were installed in 1988. I haven't a clue about UPVC longevity, but 34 years seems reasonable.

https://window.rehau.com/uk-en/rehau-upvc-windows

Return to “Building and DIY”