Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

back boiler replacement

Does what it says on the tin
petronius
Lemon Pip

back boiler replacement

Postby petronius » March 10th, 2017, 11:48 am

I am in the process of replacing an old Baxi Bermuda back boiler with a combi boiler in a semidetached house.

The idea is to place the combi boiler where the hot water cylinder of the current system is (first floor), so that the existing pipes can be used.

I am told that the BB pump, that is located under the floor near the back boiler (ground floor), needs to be removed in order to use the existing pipe circuit. This would mean a lot of damage to the existing flooring.

I was wondering however if this can be avoided by excluding the pump (and then decommissioning it without removing it) by connecting the right pipes near the existing cylinder/expansion vessel. Is this possible?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: back boiler replacement

Postby redsturgeon » March 10th, 2017, 11:57 am

If you can isolate the pump from the system without having to damage the floor then I can't see a problem.

John

petronius
Lemon Pip

Postby petronius » March 10th, 2017, 2:33 pm

A plumber said the pump has to be removed, but he did not inspect the system in much detail, just had a look at the boiler downstairs without opening it.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 10th, 2017, 3:13 pm

petronius wrote:A plumber said the pump has to be removed, but he did not inspect the system in much detail, just had a look at the boiler downstairs without opening it.

That could be semantics though, his "removal" may just mean isolated from the rest of the system rather than the disruptive physical removal that you are worried about.

John

petronius
Lemon Pip

Postby petronius » March 10th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Hi John,

He meant physical removal, as he mentioned he needed to cut through laminate floor and lift the boards to get to the pump. I would be keen to avoid this if at all possible!

dubre
2 Lemon pips

Postby dubre » March 10th, 2017, 4:44 pm

I would get two or three different opinions as to how the job should be done.

Question if a combi boiler best suits your needs.

Would you not like to keep your cylinder for back up hot water if the boiler fails.I require a cylinder for when my solar panels provide me with "free" electricity.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » March 20th, 2017, 11:26 am

petronius wrote:Hi John,

He meant physical removal, as he mentioned he needed to cut through laminate floor and lift the boards to get to the pump. I would be keen to avoid this if at all possible!

How old is the laminate flooring?

The old stuff was often glued but the modern type just clicks together. Assuming it was installed as a replacement floor covering rather than when the house was built* it should be easy to dismantle the floor, allow the plumber to do his stuff and then replace the laminate.

All you need to do is remove the beading at the bottom of the skirting, lift the free end of the laminate until it unclicks, number each piece to ease the job of replacement and work your way along until you have access to the area of the pump.

Replacement should be a breeze as all the pieces are already cut to size.

* Laminate can be installed so any gap at the edge is covered by the skirting (new build) or laid up to the skirting and any gap covered by beading, usually quadrant. (replacement floor covering). If the laminate is under the skirting don't try and remove it unless you are a competent DIYer.

Return to “Building and DIY”