Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Wired Doorbell

Does what it says on the tin
quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Re: Wired Doorbell

Postby quelquod » May 7th, 2023, 6:38 pm

genou wrote:Is there some religious objection to a wireless piezoelectric bell with plugged in receivers? I confess I have no idea what the power consumption of my receivers is, but the whole show is utterly maintenance free.

My setup is similar, though my doorbells are simple wired pushes switching central mains powered transmitters with receivers scattered around the house to help my rather deaf wife, but it hasn’t been entirely maintenance free in the longer term. My receivers lasted around 8-10 years before gradually expiring as the mains-dropping capacitors steadily failed. Not a difficult or expensive repair though - just as well as the receivers are discontinued now. I’ve never measured the overall consumption though I estimate it’s around 10 watts but it does the job.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 7th, 2023, 7:00 pm

quelquod wrote:
genou wrote:Is there some religious objection to a wireless piezoelectric bell with plugged in receivers? I confess I have no idea what the power consumption of my receivers is, but the whole show is utterly maintenance free.

My setup is similar, though my doorbells are simple wired pushes switching central mains powered transmitters with receivers scattered around the house to help my rather deaf wife, but it hasn’t been entirely maintenance free in the longer term. My receivers lasted around 8-10 years before gradually expiring as the mains-dropping capacitors steadily failed. Not a difficult or expensive repair though - just as well as the receivers are discontinued now. I’ve never measured the overall consumption though I estimate it’s around 10 watts but it does the job.

This is a doorbell? How can a simple subject be so complicated!? I have no idea how my doorbell works but it seems to be connected to the electricity set up somehow? If it stops working I will get an ordinary bell push. I actually have a brass bell and people can ring that.

Dod

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » May 7th, 2023, 9:33 pm

In my case, almost. ;)
As the wiring is already installed and neatly hidden, nothing should be more simple & reliable than a good old fashioned bell that ought to consume no energy until the button is pressed.
In practice, the way it eats batteries is disappointing.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » May 7th, 2023, 9:53 pm

Dod101 wrote:
quelquod wrote:My setup is similar, though my doorbells are simple wired pushes switching central mains powered transmitters with receivers scattered around the house to help my rather deaf wife, but it hasn’t been entirely maintenance free in the longer term. My receivers lasted around 8-10 years before gradually expiring as the mains-dropping capacitors steadily failed. Not a difficult or expensive repair though - just as well as the receivers are discontinued now. I’ve never measured the overall consumption though I estimate it’s around 10 watts but it does the job.

This is a doorbell? How can a simple subject be so complicated!? I have no idea how my doorbell works but it seems to be connected to the electricity set up somehow? If it stops working I will get an ordinary bell push. I actually have a brass bell and people can ring that.

Dod

Horses for courses. We have effectively a bell in each main room and the hallway (with no additional wiring) as without that my wife would be unaware anyone was ringing the doorbell.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 8th, 2023, 7:18 am

quelquod wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Horses for courses. We have effectively a bell in each main room and the hallway (with no additional wiring) as without that my wife would be unaware anyone was ringing the doorbell.

As you say. I am not knocking it. I would not know how to go about that sort of thing. Good luck!

Dod

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » May 8th, 2023, 1:47 pm

Dod101 wrote:I am not knocking it.

Obviously. As you would ring a bell, and knock a knocker.

(Couldn't resist, sorry for going off-topic)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 8th, 2023, 2:08 pm

chas49 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I am not knocking it.

Obviously. As you would ring a bell, and knock a knocker.

(Couldn't resist, sorry for going off-topic)

Thank you. A very good point.

Dod

Grumpsimus
2 Lemon pips

Postby Grumpsimus » May 8th, 2023, 4:06 pm

I have seen this a little late. However, the OP Doorbell appears to a Friedland Seattle D844, this is an electronic "doorbell" hence the 3 AA batteries giving 4.5V to power the circuit. Some versions can play different tunes as well as an electronic bong sound. It got very poor reviews, often described as cheap and flimsy with poor sound. It is no longer made.

The simpliest solution would by to buy a mechanical Ding-Dong or Bell which uses larger C or D batteries. This just replace the existing unit and connect directly to the switch wires. Battery life obviously depends on useage, but in a domestic situation will often last for years until the batteries die of old age.

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » May 8th, 2023, 11:47 pm

A D cell is about six times the size of an AA cell and has five or six times the capacity (at about five times the price). By that measure two D cells should last three to four times as long as three AA cells.

The 3xAA powered device running for a year while a 2xD cell powered device runs for "years" is neither surprising, nor evidence of any obvious flaw in the implementation of the AA powered device, nor evidence that an electro-mechanical chime is better than an electronic chime. An electronic chime using D cells would likely last just as long between battery changes.

Personally I prefer if all battery-operated devices use AA batteries. It's cheaper to buy in bulk and I don't have to worry about cells going stale or not having the correct cell on hand when I need it. I would willingly change the batteries four times as often if I could not find a hypothetical doorbell that uses 12xAA cells. I have purged my house of mice, walkmen, torches, bike lights, etc. that have replaceable batteries other than AA size. Next up are the smoke alarms which will be expiring next year so I can get rid of the last 9V transistor batteries.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » May 9th, 2023, 9:25 pm

9873210 wrote:Next up are the smoke alarms which will be expiring next year so I can get rid of the last 9V transistor batteries.
In the case of smoke/heat/CO alarms, ones with replaceable batteries are no longer allowed (in rental properties at least). The only ones allowable have integrated, non-replaceable batteries, which last for about 10 years. I suspect the alarms with replaceable batteries will become unavailable. C.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » May 10th, 2023, 2:03 pm

I've got a suspicion that I have another battery doorbell in the garage somewhere. I'm going to find that & if I like the look of it, it will be installed. If not, I shall go for mains power. Possibly using a 2A USB charger (after some testing).

csearle wrote:In the case of smoke/heat/CO alarms, ones with replaceable batteries are no longer allowed (in rental properties at least). The only ones allowable have integrated, non-replaceable batteries, which last for about 10 years.
This is another load of nonsense from Westminster.
If an alarm is giving nuisance false alarms, just like home owners, tenants will find a way of disabling it.
Also, the fixed batteries frequently last nowhere near as long as claimed. Especially from low quality brands, like Fire Angel.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » May 10th, 2023, 3:37 pm

jaizan wrote:If an alarm is giving nuisance false alarms, just like home owners, tenants will find a way of disabling it.
Also, the fixed batteries frequently last nowhere near as long as claimed. Especially from low quality brands, like Fire Angel.
I think the motivation was that tenants upon hearing the regular low battery warning beep would simply remove the battery. At least now they have to destroy the device (or bury it in the garden). Not sure that is any better though, granted. C.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » May 10th, 2023, 8:04 pm

csearle wrote:
jaizan wrote:If an alarm is giving nuisance false alarms, just like home owners, tenants will find a way of disabling it.
I think the motivation was that tenants upon hearing the regular low battery warning beep would simply remove the battery. At least now they have to destroy the device (or bury it in the garden). Not sure that is any better though, granted. C.

The requirement for smoke alarms and heat detectors has been a game changer for fire safety driven by the fire service not Westminster and the requirement to phase out detectors with short life batteries which rely on frequent replacement is a natural progression. Afterall a short life battery in a door bell is an inconvenience. A short life battery in a fire or CO detector is safety hazard.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » May 10th, 2023, 8:06 pm

Dicky99 wrote:The requirement for smoke alarms and heat detectors has been a game changer for fire safety driven by the fire service not Westminster and the requirement to phase out detectors with short life batteries which rely on frequent replacement is a natural progression. Afterall a short life battery in a door bell is an inconvenience. A short life battery in a fire or CO detector is safety hazard.
I concur. C.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » May 14th, 2023, 1:59 pm

Dicky99 wrote:A short life battery in a fire or CO detector is safety hazard.

The batteries in most of my CO alarms and smoke detectors last for many years.

Compare with, for example, the "Fire Angel" 10 year devices, where many of the batteries failed after 2~3 years. If you follow the Fire Angel stock exchange announcements, you will note they have spent millions of pounds on warranty for sealed items which have had premature battery failure.

Also, I have 3 battery powered smoke alarms, one heat alarm and 2 CO meters, which reduces the risk of failure. Also, of different designs, which reduces the risk of a design or quality failure.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » May 29th, 2023, 3:16 pm

Well, perhaps I should have put some effort into fault diagnosis with my doorbell.

Doorbell stops working.
Replace batteries.
Doorbell works OK.

However, I put the batteries to one side. Eventually, I got my little battery checker out and they were all in the Green zone. So I got the multimeter out and I have 2 @ 1.6V and 1 at 1.55 volts. More or less the same as new batteries.

So, I remove the new batteries from the doorbell, spray the contacts with contact cleaner and refit the "old" batteries. Of course, it works.

So I suspect there's a problem with unreliable electrical connections. There is no visible evidence of corrosion.

I'm familiar with that problem on "poundshop" torches, which are a total waste of money, as they cannot be relied upon to work when needed, due to poor contact performance. Nothing I do makes those reliable, so I just buy something better.

Anyway, I shall now monitor performance of the doorbell after the use of contact cleaner.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » May 29th, 2023, 6:52 pm

A possibility is that on some brands of AA battery I’ve found the plastic coating can extend round and under the edge of the negative end of the case. This can be a problem depending on the type of contact - in particular if the contact is a springy plate instead of the more common spring.

Return to “Building and DIY”