Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Surestop stop cock won't switch on

Does what it says on the tin
NapoleonD
2 Lemon pips

Surestop stop cock won't switch on

Postby NapoleonD » July 8th, 2023, 7:45 am

I'm probably going to have a moan here.

We have a leaking boiler, due to be replaced in a month. As we are out of the house for a week, we switched off the water last night - it's a Surestop switch.

Switched it on this morning. A dribble comes out the tap, and then nothing. Under the floor where the switch is I can hear 'something' when the switch is on. Doesn't sound like Niagera Falls. The sound disappears when the switch is moved to off.

Is this bloody thing leaking? No idea, I need to pull up the carpet, cut through the floorboards and have a look.

Apart from replacing the bloody thing (with something with a handle, that gives a satisfying turn) does anyone have any tips for maybe getting this thing working? Options are obvioulsy limited, can't even hit it with a hammer owing to it's lack of accessability.

What is it about the water works in my bloody house....

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Surestop stop cock won't switch on

Postby bungeejumper » July 8th, 2023, 8:49 am

I don't know these valves, although they look/sound a bit like what we've got on our Bosch dishwasher. But I'd doubt that anything's leaking. If that were the problem, turning on an electric valve (that worked ;) ) would get water through to the taps, and that isn't happening. If it's making a noise that stops when you switch off, then that doesn't sound like a leak either.

Hmmm, how long's the stopcock been there? Has it been given any occasional exercise in the past? How hard is your domestic water? Questions, questions. :|

BJ

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 8th, 2023, 9:11 am

bungeejumper wrote:I don't know these valves, although they look/sound a bit like what we've got on our Bosch dishwasher. But I'd doubt that anything's leaking. If that were the problem, turning on an electric valve (that worked ;) ) would get water through to the taps, and that isn't happening. If it's making a noise that stops when you switch off, then that doesn't sound like a leak either.

Hmmm, how long's the stopcock been there? Has it been given any occasional exercise in the past? How hard is your domestic water? Questions, questions. :|

BJ

I've never seen a SureStop in the flesh either, but I've somehow gained the impression they are hydraulically operated rather than electrically.

I don't suppose that helps the OP though.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » July 8th, 2023, 9:21 am

They are hydraulically operated. I have seen them but have never installed one, nor pulled one apart.

There should be a proper stop cock somewhere upstream of this, near where your supply enters your property. This may be seized though.

It is unlikely you will need to cut through floorboards; the one you need to lift will already be cut.

Julian F. G. W.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » July 8th, 2023, 9:36 am

The surestop is a pilot valve - like an electrical relay.
A twin pipe runs from the valve to the switch. One pipe is fed from the incoming water supply, but with low pressure, the other pipe connects that low pressure flow from the switch to the pilot valve.
Presence of low pressure on the control input opens the valve.

I would suggest ensuring that the low pressure switch pipes are not kinked - like a relay the pressure needed to keep the valve open will probably be lower than that needed to open it.

The other thing is to make sure that any traditional stopcock hasn't been closed as well.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 8th, 2023, 9:48 am

NapoleonD wrote:
We have a leaking boiler, due to be replaced in a month. As we are out of the house for a week, we switched off the water last night - it's a Surestop switch.

Switched it on this morning. A dribble comes out the tap, and then nothing.

Under the floor where the switch is I can hear 'something' when the switch is on. Doesn't sound like Niagara Falls. The sound disappears when the switch is moved to off.

Have you only operated the remote switch to try to get it back on?

The picture below suggests that there's also a manual switch on the pilot valve itself, so if you've not operated that yet, then locating the pilot valve and giving that a go might get you going -

Source - https://www.firstclasswetrooms.co.uk/su ... -ss22rcl06

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

NapoleonD
2 Lemon pips

Postby NapoleonD » July 8th, 2023, 10:19 am

You lot are great!

Got a chum who's an electrician round (yes, electrics and water, great combination).

We just cut a hole in the floor. There's a stop cock before the surestop, just going to bypass the surestop, and get a hatch fitted to the floor.

If we blow through the surestop in the direction of the water flow, it takes sone puff. Blowing in the other direction is easy, no idea if this means there is an issue with it. It's clearly a conveniance being installed, but teading a few horror stories online of them failing.

Took a photo, no idea how to upload it, which is encouraging for someone who works in IT.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 8th, 2023, 11:16 am

NapoleonD wrote:We just cut a hole in the floor. There's a stop cock before the surestop, just going to bypass the surestop, and get a hatch fitted to the floor.

What on earth is the point of this thing? What's wrong with a normal stopcock?

NapoleonD wrote:Took a photo, no idea how to upload it, which is encouraging for someone who works in IT.

I would upload it to my Photobucket account and then copy/paste the fullsize url link, in this case for a plumbing-related item

NapoleonD
2 Lemon pips

Postby NapoleonD » July 8th, 2023, 11:22 am

88V8 wrote:What on earth is the point of this thing? What's wrong with a normal stopcock?

I think it's purpose is 'convenience'. The switch is on the wall, like a plug socket and connects to the valve unit under the floorboards which is integrated with the water pipes downstream from the actual stopcock. So, you can conveniantly switch off the water without having to, say, move 3 tonnes of tennager clothes, used towels, Muai Thai gear, golf clubs, a wardrobe that is full and simultaneously unused, rip up the carpet, cut a hole in the laminate and floor panel to access the main stop cock.

Also heard they are not 100% reliable, so if it fails the risk of flooding is severe.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 8th, 2023, 12:37 pm

88V8 wrote:I would upload it to my Photobucket account and then copy/paste the fullsize url link, in this case for a plumbing-related item

Oh come now, I think you'll find that's just the bog standard model that runs on baked beans. For the full rocket thrust experience you'll want the Vinda Loo conversion, which famously triumphed at this year's 24 hour endurance at Le Mans. ;)

BJ

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » July 9th, 2023, 12:36 am

NapoleonD wrote:[
Also heard they are not 100% reliable, so if it fails the risk of flooding is severe.

Define "not 100% reliable" and the consequences.
Does it mean, "break and pee water everywhere", or "fail closed" or "fail open"?

"Fail closed" means fail safe - not an issue (other than being a PITA)
"Fail open" means "use the normal stop cock" - not an issue.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 9th, 2023, 6:49 am

Surely for the rare occasions when you need to turn off your water a normal stop cock should be fine even if it is under the floor. I have had my fill of valves and pumps and so on failing this last twelve months and would void them where possible. These things have a finite life for whatever reason and this year has been the year that mine have failed, one by one of course not conveniently all at once.

Dod

Return to “Building and DIY”