Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Tightening the Latch on a Multipoint Locking Door

Does what it says on the tin
quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Tightening the Latch on a Multipoint Locking Door

Postby quelquod » July 19th, 2023, 2:16 pm

Our outside UPVC doors drive me to distraction, have done for years now. The latch slackens and the door rattles and lets in a draught. Not the lock itself or the multipoint claws but the little keeper that the door latches onto when it’s not locked. No matter how hard I tighten the 2 tiny screws which hold the keeper in place it only takes a few bangs and the thing slides outwards and the door rattles loose again. It could do with a couple of decent screws but the thing is so tiny and there’s precious little meat in the assembly to hold them anyway. Does everyone suffer from this? Is there a solution?

Yes I know - keep on at SWMBO to stop slamming the door but it doesn’t work!

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Re: Tightening the Latch on a Multipoint Locking Door

Postby Dicky99 » July 19th, 2023, 9:03 pm

I wonder if there might be a suitable Loctite product which will secure the screws in place?

Alternatively, because those little screws are screwed into holes that will have crept in size over the years, can you temporarily remove the keep and fashion a couple of little slithers of wood which can be stuck, with araldite epoxy adhesive, to the back side of the screw hole so that the screw has something to bite into when it's put back. You'd be advised to drill a tiny pilot hole in the timber so that when you put the screws back the action will be pulling the bit of timber tighter rather than pushing against it.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 19th, 2023, 11:18 pm

Dicky99 wrote:I wonder if there might be a suitable Loctite product which will secure the screws in place?

Alternatively, because those little screws are screwed into holes that will have crept in size over the years, can you temporarily remove the keep and fashion a couple of little slithers of wood which can be stuck, with araldite epoxy adhesive, to the back side of the screw hole so that the screw has something to bite into when it's put back. You'd be advised to drill a tiny pilot hole in the timber so that when you put the screws back the action will be pulling the bit of timber tighter rather than pushing against it.

If it's in to wood and probably a bit chewed anyways I like to use slivers of matchstick and PVA to pack them; after that's cured screws seem to take pretty well. (I just find it easier/runnier to work with than Araldite - which gets used for everything else!)
I would also look at trying to go a size bigger in the screw; perhaps 5mm longer and with as deep a thread as you can manage. As from the description it sounds as though the problem wouldn't be the screws loosening or untightening - but rather them being knocked and damaging the hole, possibly being pulled a bit; so I'd aim to get as much purchase as possible.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » July 20th, 2023, 12:04 am

I suspect your problem is that your screws are screwing into fresh air. And thus unable to bite. Having chewed away all the plastic that was previously holding them.

I’d be looking for a suitable upvc “filler”. Fill the hole behind the screws with as much filler as it will take, let it set, then drill a new small pilot hole and reseat.

I’ve used milliput before now. In fact, at one time my car’s headlight was held in place with milliput. It lasted years, as long as the car. Milliput is an epoxy resin putty. Like araldite, but putty, rather than glue. It’ll take screws happily.

Or, a quick search on Google offers: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Composite-Plas ... Y3XG&psc=1. Says it will stick to upvc. Which may be better.

Gryff

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » July 20th, 2023, 2:10 pm

Are the keeps worn? Ones I have seen have had serrations that hold them in place when the screws are done up. There is likely to be a brand name on one part or another — spare parts are usually available.

Julian F. G. W.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » July 20th, 2023, 5:15 pm

jfgw wrote:Are the keeps worn? Ones I have seen have had serrations that hold them in place when the screws are done up. There is likely to be a brand name on one part or another — spare parts are usually available.

Julian F. G. W.

Yes you’re right of course, the teeth are well worn now with the constant jumping over each other which doesn’t help much! Not just the keeper naturally but the mounting too of course so it might need the whole thing replaced. :(
Something needs done before winter.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » July 21st, 2023, 12:52 am

The keep itself is often zinc alloy so may be much more worn than the part that it keys with.

Julian F. G. W.

Return to “Building and DIY”