Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Attaching a security camera to a telephone post??

Does what it says on the tin
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Attaching a security camera to a telephone post??

Postby bungeejumper » October 20th, 2023, 9:00 am

stevensfo wrote:Thanks! I never thought about the lamp post! It has a power source as well, so no need for an extension cable. 8-)

:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

BJ

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » October 20th, 2023, 9:59 am

Kind of reminds me of Orgi's shed.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » October 20th, 2023, 10:45 am

Note that while the pole may belong to Openreach, it may be also used by other fibre providers to reach properties, in the same way that Openreach lease out space in their underground ducts.

Many of the fibre providers are using contractors to do their fibre deployment work (as do Openreach), so you may get varying levels of "attention to detail", "ability to bribe with mug of tea", or "somebody elses problem".

The main thing is to ensure that whatever you use can withstand a size 9 boot or a ladder landing on it (and having the thing subsequently disappear).
If it looks like it was "done proper" then it's more likely to survive abuse, and/or be left unmolested.

PochiSoldi

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 20th, 2023, 5:04 pm

pochisoldi wrote:Note that while the pole may belong to Openreach, it may be also used by other fibre providers to reach properties, in the same way that Openreach lease out space in their underground ducts.

Many of the fibre providers are using contractors to do their fibre deployment work (as do Openreach), so you may get varying levels of "attention to detail", "ability to bribe with mug of tea", or "somebody elses problem".

The main thing is to ensure that whatever you use can withstand a size 9 boot or a ladder landing on it (and having the thing subsequently disappear).
If it looks like it was "done proper" then it's more likely to survive abuse, and/or be left unmolested.

PochiSoldi

To get to the post, they would have to enter our garden. Our (locked) gate is very tall as are the the hedges. We also have a dog who is very big, as soft as hell, would do anything for a biscuit, but who terrifies anyone who does not know her. ;)

On the other side is our neighbour who shares the posts. His gate is just as tall, and he has two big dogs!

In 22 years, we have never had a problem. Any technician visiting always contacts us first. As it should be.

But just in case, I will start sharpening our dog's teeth with a Dremel and keep her on a starvation diet of fat-free yoghurt and raw meat. :lol:

Steve

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 20th, 2023, 5:06 pm

Tedx wrote:Kind of reminds me of Orgi's shed.

Would I regret it very much if I asked what that was? :?

BJ

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 20th, 2023, 5:15 pm

Ogri?

RC

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » October 20th, 2023, 5:19 pm

I was kinda hoping it might stir a few memories from our past/present motorcycling contingent. :D

Ogri was a much loved cartoon character from Bike magazine. He kept his bike (a Vincent Black Shadow) in his shed. I always remember he had a power cable extending to a nearby lampost. Sorry for the cryptic-ness!

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » October 20th, 2023, 5:41 pm

stevensfo wrote:
But just in case, I will start sharpening our dog's teeth with a Dremel and keep her on a starvation diet of fat-free yoghurt and raw meat. :lol:

Steve

PMSL!

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » October 20th, 2023, 6:02 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:

Ogri?

RC

Ted's version sounds more interesting :)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 20th, 2023, 6:16 pm

pochisoldi wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

Steve

PMSL!

Pre-Menstrual Syndrome Light?

Haven't a clue what you're on about, but please make an appointment to see your GP!

Steve

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 20th, 2023, 6:47 pm

Tedx wrote:I was kinda hoping it might stir a few memories from our past/present motorcycling contingent. :D

Ogri was a much loved cartoon character from Bike magazine. He kept his bike (a Vincent Black Shadow) in his shed. I always remember he had a power cable extending to a nearby lampost. Sorry for the cryptic-ness!

Thanks Tedx, that does indeed make sense. My biking memory recalls that way back in the sixties an ogri was a grievous scrape injury that you got from falling off. Great name, then. I used to know the full etymology of the word (might have been a medical abbreviation), but I think I must have left that by the side of the road fifty sixty years ago. :(

Black Shadow? Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, excuse me while I drool. :D

BJ

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » October 20th, 2023, 7:18 pm

Tedx wrote:I was kinda hoping it might stir a few memories from our past/present motorcycling contingent. :D

Ogri is much missed. I always thought myself as Ogri-like.... but looking back was probably more like his sidekick Malcolm ;)

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 20th, 2023, 9:06 pm

Ogri was a great cartoon, always the first thing I looked at in Bike.

RC

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » October 20th, 2023, 10:52 pm

Moderator Message:
I think I do need to observe that this is rather off-topic for Building and DIY now...... (chas49)

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » November 2nd, 2023, 2:19 pm

servodude wrote:
Redmires wrote:
Very large jubilee clips

I've always called them Jubilee straps - doesn't seem to raise too many eyebrows

I thought they were 'cable ties'

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » November 2nd, 2023, 2:42 pm

Cable ties are those black plastic zip ties, single use ratchet fixing. Do come in other colours and even reusable.

I think we're still on those metal ties with screw tensioning that are Jubilee clips in my world aka worm drive hose clips apparently.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » November 3rd, 2023, 12:07 am

I wouldn't use plastic cable ties unless I was sure they were sufficiently UV resistant.

You can get Stainless Steel cable ties, https://www.toolstation.com/electrical- ... +Cable+Tie . It is not so easy to cut the spare bit off but they don't melt if there is a fire - useful for complying with current wiring regs (not that that is relevant here).

Julian F. G. W.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 3rd, 2023, 12:14 am

gnawsome wrote:
servodude wrote:
I've always called them Jubilee straps - doesn't seem to raise too many eyebrows

I was thinking of this type of gubbins
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jubilee-Stainless-Slotted-Release-50-120mm/dp/B07NL99PG5

one tip is to cut it to as short as you can get away with before you start - or it can take a LONG time to wind them on :(

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » November 3rd, 2023, 2:45 am

servodude wrote:
gnawsome wrote:

I was thinking of this type of gubbins
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jubilee-Stainless-Slotted-Release-50-120mm/dp/B07NL99PG5

one tip is to cut it to as short as you can get away with before you start - or it can take a LONG time to wind them on :(

On the other hand, if it takes you 30 seconds to fasten, it will take 30 seconds to remove...

I suggest leaving sufficient length to allow you to double back the end to prevent removal.

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » November 3rd, 2023, 1:00 pm

kempiejon wrote:Cable ties are those black plastic zip ties, single use ratchet fixing. Do come in other colours and even reusable.

I think we're still on those metal ties with screw tensioning that are Jubilee clips in my world aka worm drive hose clips apparently.

Indeed, your description is exacly right but looking at the price of 'jubilees' and the price of cable ties that are bought by the bag, are joinable and can be replaced in moments they'd get my money...

Return to “Building and DIY”