Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Soundproofing

Does what it says on the tin
JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Soundproofing

Postby JessUK98 » March 28th, 2017, 10:27 am

Anyone got any advice on soundproofing? New neighbours have put a new heating system in linked to their multi-fuel stove against a party wall. Now I have a constant low level humming noise (a bit like a hoover or dehumidifier has been left on and pushed against the wall), then for about 2 hours every evening I have a constant scrapping/rattling noise and the humming gets louder it sounds a bit like a combination of my immersion tank when it heats up my hot water and somebody scrapping wallpaper off the wall. I've read that some soundproofing might make certain types of noise worse (resilient bars I think?). Any advice on whether putting something up like batons/resilient bars on the wall and filling the gap with something like rockwool then plasterboard/dampwall and finish sealing off with some kind of damping compound would solve the problem or just make things worse?
TIA

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Re: Soundproofing

Postby pochisoldi » March 28th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Soundproofing is something that you do when you cannot stop the noise at source... (or put another way, treat the cause, not the symptoms)

Have you spoken to your neighbour? The fix could be something as simple as replacing a bolt between a flue and a bracket with a resilient mounting (think two bolts connected together by a bit of rubber), or by moving a bit of metal so that it doesn't contact the wall.
In any case, it is highly likely that your neighbour would also derive a benefit by reducing any noise.

PochiSoldi

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Re: Soundproofing

Postby JessUK98 » March 28th, 2017, 12:33 pm

pochisoldi wrote:Soundproofing is something that you do when you cannot stop the noise at source... (or put another way, treat the cause, not the symptoms)

Have you spoken to your neighbour? The fix could be something as simple as replacing a bolt between a flue and a bracket with a resilient mounting (think two bolts connected together by a bit of rubber), or by moving a bit of metal so that it doesn't contact the wall.
In any case, it is highly likely that your neighbour would also derive a benefit by reducing any noise.

PochiSoldi

Not yet, they are still in the process of moving in and are never there by the time I get home. I was thinking of putting a note through the door but thought I'd try and catch them in person. Ideally I'd like to invite them round to experience it for themselves.
I'm a pessimist though and fear I will forever be plagued by such nuisance.

Return to “Building and DIY”