Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Boiler condensate pipe leak

Does what it says on the tin
MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Boiler condensate pipe leak

Postby MrFoolish » December 31st, 2023, 8:48 am

I've been finding a puddle beneath my boiler. Looking underneath, I see there's a big crack in the first elbow of the white condensate pipe, just below where it exits the boiler. No idea how this happened.

Is this fixable by someone with poor DIY skills (me)? It looks like the elbow is a separate 90 degree piece into which the pipe fits.

I do have boiler repair cover, but would this exclude the first section of condensate pipe?

I've previously considered changing the outside drain to go to the nearby sink drain instead. So I could get a plumber in to do this.

Any thoughts? Many thanks.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Boiler condensate pipe leak

Postby DrFfybes » December 31st, 2023, 9:04 am

The condensate drain is just that, a 'drain', so really no difference repairing tis to doing a sink waste or a loft tank overflow, there's no pressure involved.

However ISTR it shouldn't drain into the surface water drain without some sort of 'neutraliser' on it, so perhaps it should go into the sink waste.

Paul

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 31st, 2023, 9:07 am

There is an emerging problem in boiler world, where the white plastic overflow pipe conventionally used to carry condensate embrittles with age and cracks spontaneously if fitted under any stress, just as yours seems to have done. It is thought the nature of the condensate affects the material the fittings are made from, which seems to be slightly different from the pipe.

Overflow pipe joints are most commonly solvent-welded together (glued) so changing that cracked elbow is probably not as easy as first appears unless the installers were lazy and didn't glue it, in which case it might just pull off the pipe but if its welded on, there is not a prayer of getting it off and some new pipework will be needed.

Given the stupidity of fitting a condensate drain pipe outside and prone to freezing, now would seem an excellent time to get a plumber in to re-route it into the sink waste. Assuming that terminates inside, that is! But even if it doesn't, the bigger diameter gives better protection against the condensate freezing.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » December 31st, 2023, 9:16 am

Mike4 wrote:There is an emerging problem in boiler world, where the white plastic overflow pipe conventionally used to carry condensate embrittles with age and cracks spontaneously if fitted under any stress, just as yours seems to have done. It is thought the nature of the condensate affects the material the fittings are made from, which seems to be slightly different from the pipe.

Overflow pipe joints are most commonly solvent-welded together (glued) so changing that cracked elbow is probably not as easy as first appears unless the installers were lazy and didn't glue it, in which case it might just pull off the pipe but if its welded on, there is not a prayer of getting it off and some new pipework will be needed.

Given the stupidity of fitting a condensate drain pipe outside and prone to freezing, now would seem an excellent time to get a plumber in to re-route it into the sink waste. Assuming that terminates inside, that is! But even if it doesn't, the bigger diameter gives better protection against the condensate freezing.

+1 for routing the condensate drain into the sink drain.

Then you can sit there all smug and warm whilst all the neighbouring condensate drains that go outside are frozen and the boiler shutdown.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 31st, 2023, 9:20 am

MrFoolish wrote:I do have boiler repair cover, but would this exclude the first section of condensate pipe?

Forgot to comment on this bit.

I'd say probably no as the condensate drain isn't part of the boiler and it isn't a boiler fault, even though the leak presents as coming from the boiler. You might get lucky though, it depends on the brief your insurers give their subcontractors. Also as usual, have a read of your policy and see if your boiler cover is also central heating cover rather than just the boiler. If you actually have CH cover you could point out the condensate drain is an integral part of the heating system.

Edit to add last sentence.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » December 31st, 2023, 9:35 am

Mike4 wrote:I'd say probably no as the condensate drain isn't part of the boiler and it isn't a boiler fault, even though the leak presents as coming from the boiler. You might get lucky though, it depends on the brief your insurers give their subcontractors. Also as usual, have a read of your policy and see if your boiler cover is also central heating cover rather than just the boiler. If you actually have CH cover you could point out the condensate drain is an integral part of the heating system.

Thanks. The cover is boiler-only, not the CH pipework. Perhaps the subcontractor would simply fix it and put it down as being part of the boiler given it's just a few inches away. But I'm favouring re-routing to the sink drain now. I'm keeping my eye out for any other other leaking points before I arrange anything.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » December 31st, 2023, 9:41 am

MrFoolish wrote:
Mike4 wrote:I'd say probably no as the condensate drain isn't part of the boiler and it isn't a boiler fault, even though the leak presents as coming from the boiler. You might get lucky though, it depends on the brief your insurers give their subcontractors. Also as usual, have a read of your policy and see if your boiler cover is also central heating cover rather than just the boiler. If you actually have CH cover you could point out the condensate drain is an integral part of the heating system.

Thanks. The cover is boiler-only, not the CH pipework. Perhaps the subcontractor would simply fix it and put it down as being part of the boiler given it's just a few inches away. But I'm favouring re-routing to the sink drain now. I'm keeping my eye out for any other other leaking points before I arrange anything.

If you need to, in the interim, you can run the condensate drain into a bucket. I did that for a couple of weeks. I was surprised how much condensate was collected in the bucket, especially when the boiler first started up. Emptying the bucket once per day was fine though. Certainly preferable to not having a serviceable boiler.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » December 31st, 2023, 9:53 am

BullDog wrote:If you need to, in the interim, you can run the condensate drain into a bucket. I did that for a couple of weeks. I was surprised how much condensate was collected in the bucket, especially when the boiler first started up. Emptying the bucket once per day was fine though. Certainly preferable to not having a serviceable boiler.

Yes, I've put a jug under the crack. Nothing has come out yet but I guess it gets a bit more dramatic when it siphons.

The pressure reading has been a bit more variable the last few days so possibly there's a secondary issue... but I'm keeping an eye on it.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 31st, 2023, 10:52 am

Mike4 wrote:Given the stupidity of fitting a condensate drain pipe outside and prone to freezing, now would seem an excellent time to get a plumber in to re-route it into the sink waste. Assuming that terminates inside, that is!

I would be nice, but our boiler is 18 feet from the nearest sink and there's a corridor in between :(

Besides, our sink waste froze last year, although the short condensate pipe into the surface drain didn't. Which reminds me I think the neutraliser will need changing soon.

Paul

Return to “Building and DIY”