Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Can you use a water gun for air

Does what it says on the tin
doug2500
Lemon Slice

Can you use a water gun for air

Postby doug2500 » April 4th, 2024, 3:51 pm

I have a job where I'd like to use a compressed air blower but can't find a long enough air blow gun. You can buy extendable pressure washer guns so would it work with the right connections obviously? The pressure rating of the water gun is far in excess of the air system.

Personally I can't see why not but worry that the nozzle would be too large?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Can you use a water gun for air

Postby bungeejumper » April 4th, 2024, 4:26 pm

What is it that you want to blow? Paint, perhaps, or just dust? And can you give us an idea of the volumes required? Any detail on the air blower (kw etc) might help.

I've just replaced a pressure washer gun, and I'd have to say that I have my doubts that this will work. A domestic pressure washer system is 10-20 times as powerful as a normal air blower - a 2 kw pump delivering up to 1000 psi and sometimes beyond. :shock: (By comparison, a paint sprayer needs 25-40 psi.) And of course it's also set up to work with water, which doesn't compress, whereas air does. Big difference!

Best of luck if you decide to try, but be sure to play safely. :|

BJ

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » April 4th, 2024, 7:28 pm

Thanks for reply.

It's just for blowing dust and would be connected to a normal, but large, compressor.

Obviously the pressure would be much less than a water system but I don't know what effect the compression factor will have?

A workmate suggested buying the telescopic water gun then replacing the water line with an airline as it looks like it just runs down the centre. That might be best.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 5th, 2024, 7:48 am

doug2500 wrote:A workmate suggested buying the telescopic water gun then replacing the water line with an airline as it looks like it just runs down the centre. That might be best.

Well, it'll only cost you about fifteen quid to find out (Ebay, etc), although that includes a 6 metre water hose which you won't need. Check that the thread going into the gun is a suitable size for your airline. I'm pretty sure you can buy adapters.

There are two basic types of lance extension. One has a circular aperture for straightforward jetting, and the other has an adjustable aperture with two flat "jaws" which can be set to give a wide spray. I'd imagine that the first of these would work best. All lance extensions fit with a kind of bayonet arrangement, invaiably made of plastic with a neoprene ring seal.

There are alternative ways of getting an air blast, of course. Many garden/wet and dry vacs have a leaf-blowing function. And I often use my heat gun (on cold, or indeed hot) to deliver a bit of oomph to my barbecue. Better than the wife's hairdryer, because the metal nozzle doesn't melt in the fiery glow. ;)

BJ

Return to “Building and DIY”