Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

Wood Glue

Does what it says on the tin
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Wood Glue

Postby Rhyd6 » May 8th, 2024, 12:03 pm

Cany anyone recommend a really strong wood glue that doesn't melt in the sun? No More Nails has proved a failure so if anyone knows of another product I'd appreciate it.

R6

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Wood Glue

Postby swill453 » May 8th, 2024, 12:11 pm

It depends how much surface area you've got to work with. If it's a lot, then cheap PVA should be fine, as long as it can be squeezed together until it sets.

For a smaller area, then I'd say any general purpose glue would do - UHU or similar generic stuff.

Scott.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » May 8th, 2024, 1:12 pm

swill453 wrote:It depends how much surface area you've got to work with. If it's a lot, then cheap PVA should be fine, as long as it can be squeezed together until it sets.

For a smaller area, then I'd say any general purpose glue would do - UHU or similar generic stuff.

Scott.

Another vote for pva glue. If applied and clamped until it's dry, I've found the bond is stronger than the wood.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 8th, 2024, 1:17 pm

Depends entirely on the context. Are we sticking large panels together, or panels and stripwood, or wood to something else?

Old-style cabinet makers and intrument makers have been using (hot) hide glue for the last five hundred years or so. It doesn't swell the fibres like PVA can. Those 350 year old Strads are still going strong!

BJ

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 8th, 2024, 1:24 pm

BullDog wrote:
swill453 wrote:It depends how much surface area you've got to work with. If it's a lot, then cheap PVA should be fine, as long as it can be squeezed together until it sets.

Scott.

Another vote for pva glue. If applied and clamped until it's dry, I've found the bond is stronger than the wood.

For wood to wood joins it's certainly where I'd go first

You can sometimes get away with just a couple of hours clamping while it initially dries - full curing though will normally take about a day

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » May 8th, 2024, 5:23 pm

I've been recently introduced to the wonders of superglue + bicarbonate of soda (as seen on many YouTube clips). Not a glue as such but brilliant for filling holes where fixings need attaching, such as chipboard cabinets where the hinge screws or dowels have been pulled out, damaging the hole etc

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 8th, 2024, 6:26 pm

Some PVA goes soft when it gets wet but you can get waterproof PVA.

Search for "wood glue" and you will find other options such as the Evo-Stik resin type (looks like PVA but feels more resiny — interior and exterior variants). There is polyurethane wood glue — slightly fizzy, I am not keen on this one myself.

A very rapid type is Mitre adhesive. This comes as a bottle of super glue and an activator, usually in a spray can. You glue one component and squirt the activator on the other, then hold the parts together for about ten seconds. This works on a range of materials such as wood, the "gluable" plastics such as μPVC, and fingers.

If you want something completely waterproof, there is Cascamite. This comes as a water-repellant powder that you mix with water. I haven't used it for years but I remember having to make a stiff paste first before adding more water. If you start with too much water, you get powder-filled bubbles that don't dissolve or break up easily.

Julian F. G. W.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 8th, 2024, 8:03 pm

jfgw wrote:Some PVA goes soft when it gets wet but you can get waterproof PVA.
If you want something completely waterproof, there is Cascamite.

A technical chap at Borden - the then manufacturers - told me he regards Cascamite as water-resistant.
If you want waterproof, use Cascophen two-pack.

V8

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » May 9th, 2024, 3:26 pm

Sorry I should have been more specific. Over many years holidaying in France we've collected a lot of wine most of it in wooden boxes and we have covered the inside of the summerhouse roof with the box ends (it's nice to sit there and reminisce about the places we visited and when we bought them) We used 'No More Nails' but unfortunately this has melted/gone soft in the heat and some of the box ends have dropped off. Luckily they tend to come unstuck slowly so one has suffered any clouts on the head so this is why I wanted to find a more heat resistant solution. Screwing them up there is not am option as this would turn the roof into a collander.

R6

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 9th, 2024, 6:03 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Sorry I should have been more specific. Over many years holidaying in France we've collected a lot of wine most of it in wooden boxes and we have covered the inside of the summerhouse roof with the box ends (it's nice to sit there and reminisce about the places we visited and when we bought them) We used 'No More Nails' but unfortunately this has melted/gone soft in the heat and some of the box ends have dropped off. Luckily they tend to come unstuck slowly so one has suffered any clouts on the head so this is why I wanted to find a more heat resistant solution. Screwing them up there is not am option as this would turn the roof into a collander.

A double-sided mounting tape might work, and be pretty easy to use.

Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jiaweixiang-Mu ... 0C5RG88ZJ/

(Others are available, obviously.)

Scott.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » May 9th, 2024, 6:15 pm

Bit surprised No More Nails (Serviceable from -10°C to +50°C.) let you down I've found it to be OK. Do you know how hot the summer house gets?
Gripfill Service Temperature -30°C to +70°C. or Pinkgrip (-50 °C to +35 °C) are my go to grab adhesives.

I'd have thought for wood on wood action that wood glue, PVA would be just the ticket but bonds do need clamping overnight.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » May 9th, 2024, 6:19 pm

swill453 wrote:A double-sided mounting tape might work, and be pretty easy to use.

Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jiaweixiang-Mu ... 0C5RG88ZJ/

(Others are available, obviously.)

I've had this fall from a cable tidy mounted on the underside of a desk. Swapped it for new self adhesive Velcro Alfo-Lok which is still up. But too expensive for a large area and you don't need the demountable facility.

Return to “Building and DIY”