Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Pre-cast concrete repair

Does what it says on the tin
Pheidippides
2 Lemon pips

Pre-cast concrete repair

Postby Pheidippides » April 18th, 2017, 10:32 am

With my daughter's recent embarkation onto the property ladder. I now have a problem with a 60's built maisonette.

The surround to one of the windows is constructed as four pre-cast concrete pieces joined together to make a frame that sits prod of the window by about 6". Sadly, one of these pieces of concrete is damaged, predictably it is on a corner and sadly it is one of the horizontals. There is a small piece of reinforcement rod sticking out of the vertical piece.

These concrete pieces are well embedded in the fabric of the building, so replacement is out of the question. I am looking to see how this piece could be repaired. Access is fine (with a ladder).

All suggestions gratefully received

Regards

Pheid

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Pre-cast concrete repair

Postby Slarti » April 20th, 2017, 10:58 am

Tetrion would be my first thought as it can be moulded and then becomes very hard.

It may then be necessary to paint over the whole thing to get a colour match.

HTH
Slarti

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 20th, 2017, 1:01 pm

Tetrion is indeed excellent. Although personally I'd have knocked up a margarine tubfull of mortar/concrete mix and simply done it with that. Using a piece of board to stop the wet cement from collollopsing out of the hole. (I sometimes also drive in a couple of screws at wonky angles to help with adhesion.) I'm not sure whether or not I'd treat the protruding steel core first - in the real rufty-tufty world of concrete it doesn't need it, but I could imagine the concrete patch breaking out if it got damp.

Incidentally, you can buy cement colouring powders that will help you to get a colour match. Or just paint the repair with live yoghurt, and it'll soon take on an organicky, faded-in look. :) They tell me that some people use fresh cow manure instead, but you can take this authenticity business too far, don't you think?

BJ

Pheidippides
2 Lemon pips

Postby Pheidippides » April 27th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Thanks guys,

Will try the Tetrion, but maybe not the Cow dung

Regards

Gary

Return to “Building and DIY”